Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-15-2019, 03:46 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Rolling Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I wasn't. Why were you happy? It would be incredibly beneficial to exam-takers if the exams through ASA were common, and only the Fellowship level diverged to specialty. Additionally, from a methodological standpoint, Health is a lot more like P&C than it is like Life or Pension. I ended up in Health, mostly because by the time I had enough knowledge to know what I do and don't like about this field, I had passed enough exams that I didn't want to back-track to jump into CAS. I really think I would have liked P&C better.
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=335431

Link to one of several threads on the potential merger.

Quick summary:
Many CAS members see the SOA's attempted move into P&C as a hostile takeover attempt, and it has left a bad taste and distrust for SOA leadership, even though the SOA leadership has changed.

The drift apart in preliminary exam requirements is largely seen as the SOA's doing, and is viewed as evidence that the SOA is an untrustworthy partner. Returning to joint preliminaries without a merger was presented as "not gonna happen."

The proposal was so vague as to, well, everything that it was seen as a huge risk with little upside to current P&C actuaries.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySchoop View Post

Quick summary:
Many CAS members see the SOA's attempted move into P&C as a hostile takeover attempt, and it has left a bad taste and distrust for SOA leadership, even though the SOA leadership has changed.

The drift apart in preliminary exam requirements is largely seen as the SOA's doing, and is viewed as evidence that the SOA is an untrustworthy partner. Returning to joint preliminaries without a merger was presented as "not gonna happen."

The proposal was so vague as to, well, everything that it was seen as a huge risk with little upside to current P&C actuaries.
I can't believe I'm saying this (mostly) unironically but... Won't somebody think of the children?

I'm well past exams, so at the end of the day, I don't really care all that much. But for exam takers, it seems like it would be massive benefit for all of them, and an unnecessary divide at present.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:58 PM
CAS SOA

College: State

Quote:
I wasn't. Why were you happy? It would be incredibly beneficial to exam-takers if the exams through ASA were common, and only the Fellowship level diverged to specialty. Additionally, from a methodological standpoint, Health is a lot more like P&C than it is like Life or Pension. I ended up in Health, mostly because by the time I had enough knowledge to know what I do and don't like about this field, I had passed enough exams that I didn't want to back-track to jump into CAS. I really think I would have liked P&C better.
What MighySchoop said.

Quote:

Quick summary:

Old 02-15-2019, 04:02 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
I can't believe I'm saying this (mostly) unironically but... Won't somebody think of the children?

I'm well past exams, so at the end of the day, I don't really care all that much. But for exam takers, it seems like it would be massive benefit for all of them, and an unnecessary divide at present.
I feel like this is the same thing the teachers union says when they are negotiating pay and benefits.

A lot of CAS members view the FCAS credential as superior to the FSA credential and think a merger would allow holders of the FSA to claim the same value in the future. If accepted, this would surely have a detrimental effect on CAS members.

There's a reason the poll results in another thread were what they were. FSA's wanted to merge at fairly high rates and FCAS's did not. I think that tells the story that the FSA's see something to gain, whereas the FCAS's see something to lose.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
I'm still curious about this. Why is it so difficult for SoA and CAS to start co-administer the exams again?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Would suggest this is either a very ignorant view, or one based on a very skewed view of the SOA leadership. If that's not an issue you're familiar with, would suggest reading the linked thread.

Hard for me to see how it's a "massive benefit" for "all" exam takers, since the ones that are currently on the CAS track will not be involved with the very shady people that have been running SOA in the past; and while I can't say that the people currently running the SOA, nor those who will run in the future, are equally shady, I also can't say that I've had any SOA members that can explain to me why I shouldn't expect current/future leadership to be as shady as the past. Not being involved with the SOA and their leadership is the "massive benefit" that most of us are looking for, and that includes many exam-takers.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
I'm still curious about this. Why is it so difficult for SoA and CAS to start co-administer the exams again?
If you're on the CAS side, it's because the SOA refuses to do so (absent merger).

If you're on the SOA side, I honestly don't know other than the desire to continue to have a perceived threat against the CAS to try to pressure a merger; that may be the only reason, or not, but nobody's ever explained another to me when I've asked.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:39 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrovertedactuary View Post
I feel like this is the same thing the teachers union says when they are negotiating pay and benefits.

A lot of CAS members view the FCAS credential as superior to the FSA credential and think a merger would allow holders of the FSA to claim the same value in the future. If accepted, this would surely have a detrimental effect on CAS members.

There's a reason the poll results in another thread were what they were. FSA's wanted to merge at fairly high rates and FCAS's did not. I think that tells the story that the FSA's see something to gain, whereas the FCAS's see something to lose.
That may very well be. If nothing else, I'd guess that a really large chunk of the Health actuaries would have something to gain. You know, like methodologies that deal with short-term, periodic incidents... nothing important or anything.

Maybe we can convince the CAS to take all of us SOA Health Actuaries instead of just merging?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:42 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Would suggest this is either a very ignorant view, or one based on a very skewed view of the SOA leadership. If that's not an issue you're familiar with, would suggest reading the linked thread.

Hard for me to see how it's a "massive benefit" for "all" exam takers, since the ones that are currently on the CAS track will not be involved with the very shady people that have been running SOA in the past; and while I can't say that the people currently running the SOA, nor those who will run in the future, are equally shady, I also can't say that I've had any SOA members that can explain to me why I shouldn't expect current/future leadership to be as shady as the past. Not being involved with the SOA and their leadership is the "massive benefit" that most of us are looking for, and that includes many exam-takers.
I'll read the thread at some point. I don't have any idea about shady dealings in the SOA.

I'm not particularly involved with SOA leadership. I don't even know who's in charge, and I really don't care all that much. Maybe that makes me a bad actuary, but ah well. I don't really have that kind of loyalty to the organization that made my life a miserable hell for many years as I slogged my way through exams.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:48 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
That may very well be. If nothing else, I'd guess that a really large chunk of the Health actuaries would have something to gain. You know, like methodologies that deal with short-term, periodic incidents... nothing important or anything.

Maybe we can convince the CAS to take all of us SOA Health Actuaries instead of just merging?
If single payer does eliminate the demand for health actuaries, I could see many being hired into P&C positions. The CAS hiring managers should make them take a couple CAS exams though!