Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:02 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by success108 View Post
How so?
Deadlines. Monthly, quarterly, annual.

I'm sure you have deadlines in pricing but in valuation you can't get started until a certain day then you have so much time to finish. Also, a lot of those crunch times are during the worst parts if the year. I know you aren't worried about exams but quarter end work is always starting the month before the Fsa exams.

In valuation you are normally working on produces that are very old and boring. You have to do a lot of digging for old documentation, if it even exists.

I guess there are some advantages.
You have better job security and you are probably working with people that are more helpful and not fighting you on the rates to charge.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:30 AM

Thanks Volsfan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan View Post
In valuation you can't get started until a certain day then you have so much time to finish.
What are you waiting on, data? And aren't things fairly well automated once you get started?

What do you do outside of crunch time? Is there any room for creativity? Strategic direction? Decision making?
Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Thanks Volsfan.

What are you waiting on, data? And aren't things fairly well automated once you get started?

What do you do outside of crunch time? Is there any room for creativity? Strategic direction? Decision making?
Yes. No.

Browse the AO. Sometimes. Sometimes. Sometimes.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30pcssilver View Post
Browse the AO. Sometimes. Sometimes. Sometimes.
I did: model improvements, experience studies, regulatory updates. Elaboration on "Sometimes" would be helpful.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 AM
SOA AAA

I would definetly make the move. It will give you exposure to valuation work. Are we talking Variable Annuities? Will you be working on AG43, which is a stochastic based reserve? If so, then definitely do it. Knowledge of Life Insurance products, and AG43 can be leveraged when (if) PBA ever comes around.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:24 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan View Post
In valuation you are normally working on produces that are very old and boring. You have to do a lot of digging for old documentation, if it even exists.

I guess there are some advantages.
You have better job security and you are probably working with people that are more helpful and not fighting you on the rates to charge.
In companies attempting to outsource actuarial work, valuation roles have usually been the first to go...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
The thing about a JUICE troll is I'm not always sure if it's troll or serious. It's truly a thing of beauty. This thread is amazing, I honestly don't know if he means it or not.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
SOA

Studying for WTF CFE
Favorite beer: Red, red wine

I went from life valuation to life pricing earlier this year. It's probably somewhat company dependent, but for me, I really like pricing. Wouldn't go back to valuation unless it was an extraordinary offer.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 AM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

I did life (Term) valuation for short while. It was pretty boring. Annuity valuation seemed much more fun.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:43 PM
SOA AAA

I guess I would change my opinion if it were variable annuities. There is a lot of new and interesting things going on with that line of business.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Thanks Volsfan.

Yes. There is a lot of automation but not to a point where you push a button and all of your numbers are done. Even if that was the case you would still have to use some actuarial judgment in setting reserves.

You have to spend a decent amount of time investigating why the reserves moved the way they did.

If your company is doing this every month, there is a lot less downtime. The last 2 companies that I've worked for have only quarter close which is nice.

Tags
annuity, career move, life, pricing, valuation