Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-28-2015, 10:59 PM
CAS

Default 1 year experience looking to go P&C to Life/Health

I know this topic has been discussed plenty before, but I haven't found much dealing with my specific situation.

So, here's my situation...

I'm about 1 year in with a P&C company with 3 SOA/CAS exams (P, FM, MFE) and 1 CAS exam (LC). The company is great, but the work hasn't thrilled me. I took the job initially just to get a foot in the actuarial world, but the Life/Health side has always interested me more. I figure better to get out sooner than later, so I'm going to make the switch. 2 questions...

- Should I be applying to EL jobs given I'm switching industries, even though I have that mighty 1 year of experience?

- Is it worth dealing with a recruiter given my situation?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 PM
SOA

Studying for DMAC
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Apply to everything. You have no experience in Life/Health, so all you'll bring to the table are technical skills.

Recruiter can't hurt I guess.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

I'd apply to everything 0-5 years of experience.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:17 AM
SOA

I was in a similar situation, but I had all my prelims done. I didn't use a recruiter.

IMO, apply to every entry level position. Also apply to any position that has requirements anywhere near what you have. Given that your resume looks decent, I would assume you would get at least call backs for entry level positions.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 AM
CAS

no one will hire you, because someone who chooses to go from P&C to health has obvious issues
Old 05-29-2015, 12:25 AM
CAS

What is it about life/health that appeals to you? As someone who doesn't work in either, they appear to be two fairly distinct areas. Is there one you prefer?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:52 AM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
I know this topic has been discussed plenty before, but I haven't found much dealing with my specific situation.

So, here's my situation...

I'm about 1 year in with a P&C company with 3 SOA/CAS exams (P, FM, MFE) and 1 CAS exam (LC). The company is great, but the work hasn't thrilled me. I took the job initially just to get a foot in the actuarial world, but the Life/Health side has always interested me more. I figure better to get out sooner than later, so I'm going to make the switch. 2 questions...

- Should I be applying to EL jobs given I'm switching industries, even though I have that mighty 1 year of experience?

- Is it worth dealing with a recruiter given my situation?
What kind of p&c work are you doing right now? Have you considered getting a different, better p&c job?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:56 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for the kids
Favorite beer: Whiskey, Irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukelampard View Post
What kind of p&c work are you doing right now? Have you considered getting a different, better p&c job?
Disclaimer: This post is likely sarcastic in nature and in no way represents Sine Language's actual opinion and sentiment
Old 05-29-2015, 09:57 AM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukelampard View Post

We could probably use more details about what you have done so far. People in their first year on the job don't often get to do interesting stuff. You're learning the job - they entrust you with basic tasks around ratemaking or reserving, determining competitive position, updating spreadsheets.

On the other hand, it is possible your job actually is kinda lame, but how would you know for sure if it's the only one you've had?

Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for the kids
Favorite beer: Whiskey, Irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post

We could probably use more details about what you have done so far. People in their first year on the job don't often get to do interesting stuff. You're learning the job - they entrust you with basic tasks around ratemaking or reserving, determining competitive position, updating spreadsheets.

On the other hand, it is possible your job actually is kinda lame, but how would you know for sure if it's the only one you've had?

don't throw away a potentially bright P&C future because you're expecting an EL analyst job to be thrilling and innovative. There are pension actuaries plotting to steal your job.
Disclaimer: This post is likely sarcastic in nature and in no way represents Sine Language's actual opinion and sentiment

Tags
health, life, p&c, recruiter, switching