Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 07-16-2015, 12:18 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: HofBrau

As students are really getting into their first read through of the material, I want to share a study tip that I think gets overlooked due to the perception that there is too much material to get through in too short of a time – especially during the first read through where what lies ahead is still unknown. When going through the material for the first time, if there is something that you don’t understand or that doesn’t make sense, whether literally or contextually (you may ask yourself “what does this have to do with life pricing?”), don’t force it. Rather, give it a second look and then walk away for a few days. I like to call this “marinating” an idea. Quite often things click or topics connect when our minds are relaxed and not actively trying to force the understanding.

To give a little insight into the method I use for my online seminar videos: I never record the video the same day that I finish the preparation. Once I finish the presentation, examples, and script for the video, I let it sit for a day or two… During this time, I usually get insight of how to possibly present the material differently or how to better connect it to a major LP theme at which point I add the final touches and record the video. The equivalent for students would be capturing these ideas when they come to you either in your notes, flashcards, study guides, or whatever method you’re using. But this part is the key: the discipline and commitment to contribute to your studying even when you aren’t sitting down studying. To make this work, this may mean carrying a small notebook with you all the time or recording voice notes on your phone.

Realistically, this type of method only works when there’s enough time between you and the exam. Once you get into your second read through and things still aren’t making sense, I would recommend switching to a more aggressive strategy. Nevertheless, this is something I wish I had done more while I was studying for exams.

View PAK Products
Life Pricing: Sample #1, Sample #2, & Sample #3
Life Finance and Valuation: Sample #1 & Sample #2
Life Risk Management: Sample #1 & Sample #2

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore
Old 07-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Note Contributor
SOA AAA

Studying for Life Pricing
College: Bemidji State University, 2006
Favorite beer: Dude! Beverage!

What else is provided on exam day other than the exam itself and paper? Do they give you a standard normal table?

FSA Requirements Passed: R&T Mod, FE Mod
Need: Life Pricing, Life Finance & Valuation, ERM Mod, Life Risk Mgmt, DMAC, FAC
Grading: ERM Mod - Submitted 7/22/16
Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM

Studying for C

I just saw the spring '15 sitting had a passing rate of 54%! I really hope they don't adjust the fall exam or anything to compensate.

Spring '15 definitely seemed to be more approachable, if that makes sense.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:05 AM

Default Study Strategy

Hello guys!

Can you guys share your studying strategy for this exam?

I will be using ACE manual for the exam prep but it seems their categorization of the material is different from the SOA syllabus.

And when using the manual sequences when do I refer to the readings and articles recommended by the SOA. How will I know when to refer to them? Does the manual points it out or not?

I have seen the study notes in section 1 of the ACE manual have been taken from different sections of the SOA syllabus.

Please share your study methods. This is my first fellowship exam and I'm not aware of the study techniques.

Thank you.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:37 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathslover24 View Post
I will be using ACE manual for the exam prep but it seems their categorization of the material is different from the SOA syllabus.
I was just thinking the same thing.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:17 PM
SOA

I also am just (trying to) get started using ACE. It seems to me that there is no consistency between the order of the videos, the syllabus, and ACE's proposed reading schedule (provided Excel file). I am yet to receive my study manual, so I don't know if that provides any clarification (or more likely additional confusion). I fear I am about to just start jumping from material to material with no concrete plan of attack.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:28 AM
SOA AAA

It looks like there is some text missing from the source material: "Term Conversions - A Reinsurer's Perspective" online reading.

Am I crazy (wouldn't dispute this) or did the SOA screw that up? Just wondering before I email them about it.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:46 PM
CAS SOA

College: UWI Mona 2014

Change in strategy: I decided to try out TIA for this one instead. I haven't actually started studying, but the materials seem to be organized very well. It seems like a complete package!

Closer to exam day, I may buy some of PAK's aids if I still feel like I need more practice.

Looking to start studying as of tomorrow! 3 solid months.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:00 AM
CAS SOA

College: UWI Mona 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_asnani View Post
Looking to start studying as of tomorrow!
Okay, maybe not...I've been terrible. Need to hit it hard starting this weekend.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:55 AM
SOA

Hi All,

I missed some of these comments from a few weeks ago.

That is correct, we don't follow the SOA's syllabus / concepts format when categorizing our material. We categorize our material in a way that we think makes the syllabus more digestible.

Regarding the study schedule, this should be in line with the study manual. But the whole idea of the study schedule is that it is customizable. We have an outline to follow, but ultimately our reccomendation would be for you to customize this file (and, more generally, you study plan) to your own strengths, time available, etc

Lastly, there was a comment about a text missing. I'm guessing that this is related to our seminar products. We will often combine multiple texts that cover the same material into one section to make your study time more efficient, to help you connect similar texts, etc

For quicker responses, please email customerservice@acemanuals.com.

Ace Manuals is now offering study materials for ILA LFV, ILA LP, ILA LRM, and ERM exams.
www.acemanuals.com

Tags
exam, fall 2015, ila, life, pricing