Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 03-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm1729
Wow! Funny stuff. I wonder what other great stuff I've missed out on by not discovering this forum until recently.

Sometimes I feel like asking a veteran of this forum, like TDA, to sit down with me sometime and tell me all about the good old days of the ROF. I will say this, though: I'm sure glad I was around to witness that whole snorkeling episode. That was truly golden.
Let me tell you a story that I heard as a young child here in the Forum.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a cyber-galaxy far far away, there was a paradise, populated with witty, wise and funny Actuaries and Candidates.

One day, a great evil arrived, and started to spread it's taint among the hearts and minds of this unsuspecting group.

Soon, people were turning one against the other, and the initial camaraderie was lost in a sea of paranoia, guilt and shame. The overlords of this paradise, seeing their creation being destroyed before their eyes, took draconian measures to protect the oasis.

Unfortunately, the measures taken seemed to harm both innocent and guilty, fair and foul, simultaneously. The people were in a difficult situation. Either they would be swallowed by the giant troll that camped outside the walls of their city, or they would be condemned to a life of hard labor and little speech under the martial laws of the city itself.

Then, when matters looked their bleakest, two heroes arose, and boldly led the chafed masses to a new Oasis, one where the inherent structure of the city was such as to ostensibly render it troll-proof. The heroes' names are lost in antiquity, but ancient texts make some reference to a T'raysie and a '<sub>g</sub>laine.

But all was not to be utopian. A number of cycles later, the Oasis was viciously and stealthily attacked by a galactic crustacean. Translations of the ancient texts read something like Solar Squid, Space Shrimp, or Chaotic Lobster, depending on which dialect of Actuarial is used to interpret the old papers (Something about On-Level factors I believe).

Once again, two heroes appeared and magically transported the remaining denizens of the Oasis to a new place, a better place. Once again, records as to the identities of these heros are slim, but the best we can make out is that they were named B'reyceeiee and Q'leynn. We believe they called this new place the "Rrab'le Phorumn" which over the years has transformed into what we now know as "The Rebel Forum."

This is the story as told to me by the great historians of yore.

--with apologies to Dr. Leon Lederman

Last edited by Avi; 07-09-2012 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Eight year's belated grammar/spelling
Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 AM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Wow! Funny stuff. I wonder what other great stuff I've missed out on by not discovering this forum until recently.

Sometimes I feel like asking a veteran of this forum, like TDA, to sit down with me sometime and tell me all about the good old days of the ROF. I will say this, though: I'm sure glad I was around to witness that whole snorkeling episode. That was truly golden.
You buy me a Becks and I will sit down with you and tell you anyting you want to know.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 03-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Wonderboy
CAS

Studying for kitchen utensilry degree
College: Crazy Go Nuts University
Favorite beer: Sam Adams, Dos Equis, Arrogant Hagbard, Clydesdale Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi
Soon, people were turning one against the other, and the initial cameraderie was lost in a sea of paranoia, guilt and shame.
Is this where I find the summary of the exam committee game?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary!
Quote:

You buy me a Becks and I will sit down with you and tell you anyting you want to know.
Tell you what TDA -- I'll buy you more than one Becks. In fact, I'll keep them coming all night long. That way, as the night progresses, the stories will get more and more interesting (not that they need any embellishing, I'm sure). We'll call it a night when you start becoming incoherent, and resume the next day. After all, I presume that you will need more than one night to sum up the entire wonderful history of the ROF to me.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:45 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tell you what TDA -- I'll buy you more than one Becks. In fact, I'll keep them coming all night long. That way, as the night progresses, the stories will get more and more interesting (not that they need any embellishing, I'm sure). We'll call it a night when you start becoming incoherent, and resume the next day. After all, I presume that you will need more than one night to sum up the entire wonderful history of the ROF to me.
I'm not sure how long I will need, but if your buying me beers, I'll make sure I take a very ling time indeed.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 03-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth's Box
He did manage to sneak a few by the mods, like that erudite topological lesson on tri-beta-ism.
man! I loved that one!

http://actuary.ca/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=486437#486437

edited to add link

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I'll buy you a case of Becks if you tell me who Nature Boy and Troy McClure are posting as these days!!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:23 AM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth's Box
He did manage to sneak a few by the mods, like that erudite topological lesson on tri-beta-ism.
man! I loved that one!

http://actuary.ca/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=486437#486437

edited to add link
I still laugh at Pi Man's post in that thread.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Will Durant

Don't know if Traci is serious, but this thread must be preserved at all costs.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA

Especially for the raconteurish intemezzo

--with apologies to Dr. Leon Lederman