Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 12-29-2009, 03:16 PM

Default EA Active for the Wii

Anyone try it? Wife wants it. Thinking about getting it for her bday.

Thoughts? Opinions? Like, dislike?

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 AM
SOA

Studying for WTF CFE
Favorite beer: Red, red wine

*watches thread with interest*

It'd be nice to have a backup for days I can't make it to the gym. But I've heard the Wii Fit games aren't really a great workout, so I haven't pulled the trigger.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:46 AM
David Revelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommelier View Post
*watches thread with interest*

It'd be nice to have a backup for days I can't make it to the gym. But I've heard the Wii Fit games aren't really a great workout, so I haven't pulled the trigger.
I've heard that EA active is much more active than the Wii Fit games. We just got Wii Fit Plus, and it certainly isn't equivalent to going to a gym. It is fun, and having feedback on how steady your balance is on the yoga poses makes you work certain muscles harder, but I haven't yet found it to be very demanding.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 PM
The Spocker

I have it here. While I prefer other sports to stay in shape, my roommate uses it almost every morning. I tried it one night drunk on the most intense work out and could not make it through.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
SOA AAA

I am not a fitness expert, but here is my semi-rambling review.

Compared to WiiFit, I'd say that EA Active is more focused on, and better at burning calories. Where WiiFit will not make you sweat, EA Active will.

EA Active has many pre-loaded routines and you can make your own. Its main feature is the 30-day challenge, which is 20 different routines, and it wants you to do 2 consecutive days of workouts followed by a day of rest. However, you can really do it at any pace. It has 3 difficulty levels, I play it on Hard and struggle to finish some of the exercise routines- I'm reasonably fit, in my 20s with a healthy BMI. These routines are approximately 30 minutes of workout time, and take maybe 40 minutes to complete (due to some down time at the start and finish of each exercise).

Overall I found the 30-day challenge to be enough motivation to make we not want to skip a workout. I think the upper body workouts are too easy, but the lower body and cardio make up for it. It also lacks in ab/core exercises, which is something that WiiFit does better. I'll probably continue to use it for lower body.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM
David Revelle

How annoying would EA active be to someone who lived downstairs of you? I've sort of assumed that any serious calorie burning activity would involve much stomping on the floor which would disturb de neighbors.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaave View Post
How annoying would EA active be to someone who lived downstairs of you? I've sort of assumed that any serious calorie burning activity would involve much stomping on the floor which would disturb de neighbors.

probably pretty annoying, unless you are really light on your feet, and can stay light on your feet when tired. I would need some thick floors for this not to drive downstairs neighbors crazy.

Off the top of my head, some potentially annoying exercises would be:
-running in place
-kick ups (I think this is what they are called, it is basically running in place but with kicking yourself in the butt with your heels)
-side to side jumps
-jump lunges (which is jumping from a lunge with right foot forward and landing to a lunge with left foot forward)
-jump squats
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
SOA

Studying for WTF CFE
Favorite beer: Red, red wine

OK, so I got a $30 gift card to Best Buy, and I picked this up on the cheap.

I did the first workout of the 30 day challenge on medium. There are 3 levels - low, medium, and high impact. I chose medium. It gave me a 25 minute workout including warm up and cool down.

It was enough of a workout to make me sweat. It is indeed a lot of stomping about, so it's a good thing I don't have downstairs neighbors. The workout started with running in place for a few laps on a virtual track. Then, there were the actual exercises. I did lunges, squats, bicep curls, back presses, and a game where you're roller-blading. 2 reps of each of those exercises. Then, another few laps jogging to cool down.

Some tips if you decide to get it: Get a real resistance band. The one they provide is awful, to say the least.