Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post

"My my this here Anakin guy, maybe later will be Vader but for now he's small fry..."

should be

"My my this here Anakin guy, maybe Vader someday later now he's just a small fry..."
Old 01-15-2010, 05:43 PM
no

Any opinion on DDR games for kids?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

My kids aren't coordinated enough yet for DDR. They can't even keep up with the Basic Step activity in Wii Fit.

I think ideally I'll get some games I like playing but they can catch on to over time. I was playing Atari when I was my oldest kid's age, and that wasn't exactly user-friendly. I remember Combat, and trying to get that damn tank to shoot where I wanted it to. And the horrendous sound effects.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 01-16-2010, 01:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop John B View Post
I'd second Mario Kart. I haven't played it on Wii, but I played the SNES one when I was about 7 as well as the N64 when it came out. Always a fun game regardless of age.
Another recommendation for Mario Kart here. The Wii version has new courses and retro courses. Its a ton of fun and good for any age.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
no

Mario kart looks better on Wii.

Any suggestions on games that include some physical activities,
other than wii sport or DDR? I saw a game "singing star(?)" is it any good?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: root

I'm not really into video games, but even I like Mario Cart. The kids like playing against me b/c I'm so bad. I like it b/c crashing doesn't totally end the race for you. Hate those stupid mushrooms you have to hop across though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
If there are any stray hairs around, feel free to split them while I'm gone.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Ok, I'll look into Mario Kart.

I'm also specifically looking for games good for young autistic kids. My son's coordination isn't that great [he's 3.6 years old], but getting him to do something like clap to music or jump in time, or really simple control of a character might be a good thing.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Ok, I'll look into Mario Kart.

I'm also specifically looking for games good for young autistic kids. My son's coordination isn't that great [he's 3.6 years old], but getting him to do something like clap to music or jump in time, or really simple control of a character might be a good thing.
The various Mario & Sonic Olypmpic games are pretty good and young kids can play them. They have the Beijing 2008 summer games version and now the Vancouver 2010 winter games version. The local Y has the 2008 games and kids of all ages seem to love it. It involves a lot of arm movement (Ex: pumping arms when doing a track event). You can have up to 4 people palying so you could play along.

We also have a non-Mario game that comes with a floor pad that involves a lot of action/exercise. I can't remember the name but will post it later. For example, it has a game where you stand on the pad and jump to avoid logs that are rolled at you.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
no

If there was a prize for worst video game player, I would win it for sure.

Anyway, my son was not good with them either; on DS he had a mario game (I think
it was, super mario brothers), so he could not go beyond world 1. Guess what daddy
did? I got the cheats (or action replay codes), then he got all 120 stars and then
he started playing without cheats.. long story short we had to limit it to 2 hours
per day on Fridays and Saturday; slowly he grew out of DS/DSI.
I got the wii on last Thursday. That brings me to some questions.

Do you guys let your kids (elementary school ones) to play DS/Wii on school nights?
Do you enforce that 2hours or less screen time per day rule?

PS: echo, I am patiently waiting for you to post the title of that log rolling game.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
SOA

My older son is 6 and LOVES Mario Kart. Get an extra wheel and Wii controller so they can play with a friend or sibling.

My son is not a great reader yet so a lot of Wii games just aren't appropriate for him. For Christmas he got a Wii Nerf game. If you're the type of person who doesn't want guns or violence anywhere near your house, stay away from this game. We certainly don't encourage guns OR violence, but you really can't escape Nerf guns with first grade boys. So this game is rated age 10 and up, and I think there's a real strategy aspect, but my son is happy just shooting anything that comes on the screen. He will literally play it for hours. He's only allowed to play it on the weekend for that reason.

Tags
wii