Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'm not fond of the lines separating each section. I think it makes it a little harder to scan.

You don't need the bullets for the exams. I'd put the dates close to the rest - spaced about as far as your "passed" is from the exam name. I'd get rid of the hyphen. I'd probably say "Exam 1/P" instead of just the 1/P.

The education layout makes you pause, which isn't good. I wouldn't put the date there 3 times. I'd get rid of the bullets here, too. Not sure you really need 3 identical GPAs - especially on a minor.

The Technical Skills should probably be Computer Skills. The grid of bullets is incredibly hard to read. I'd try to group them in some manner. However, you group them, try to list Excel prominently. I wouldn't bother with C since C++ is there.

The job bullets could use work. I'd try to come up with some results-oriented ones. If not...

You give some details that don't really mean anything to me. Things that don't mean anything to me don't help your case.

Don't just be a "member". What did you do on the team? What did the team accomplish?

I wouldn't say "necessary" standards. Do you mean to differentiate them from unnecessary standards? I think you mean something different by "standards" than how most people will read this. I'm guessing you really mean "requirements"? Most people think of standards as commonly accepted practices.

Organized meeting is OK, but it would be a whole lot more impressive to actually resolve the issue - make it results-oriented.

I wouldn't list dates for the teaching bullets, just an overall range. You don't need the colons. I wouldn't bother saying "many levels". It just fills space and really isn't all that important. You're not applying for a teaching job.

United Way volunteer seems like a weak bullet. Most of us are familiar with the annual UW company drive. Typically some lower level person gets chosen (doesn't volunteer) for the job. Maybe you did more than make sure everyone turned in their form. If so, you probably have more you can say here.

I'd lead with Eagle Scout instead of Boy Scout. Eagle Scout is an achievement. Boy Scout means you paid your fee.

I'd try to say more in Community Relations bullets. You're better off with one or two good ones than four that don't do much to sell you.

And what everyone else said.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 AM

Studying for VEEs & FAP
College: University at Buffalo Alumni
Favorite beer: Corona w/ Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfowler View Post
I know that showing the last exam taken about 3 years ago is a deterrent (along with the low-ish GPA and no internship). Would it be a good idea to take the 1/P exam again? I don't feel it would take too much more studying...
You can't take it again if you passed it already. Otherwise, the actuarial study manual authors could take the exams again and get 10's (odd concept, not sure if they would do that).

Pass another exam, and make sure to show how much you're interested in the exam process during an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildeTruth View Post
I'd throw it out immediately for listing your 720 math SAT score.

My high school dropout brother got a 720 math. He doesn't/didn't even know what the Pythagorean Theorem is.

Kidding aside, take off all standardized test scores, unless it is the Putnam.
Geico's entry-level analyst opening (last year) wanted your SAT math and verbal scores. I thought it was silly, and definitely shows that they were not thinking about career changers (they didn't even think to put "SAT and/or GRE").

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
REPENT
THE END IS NIGH
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluan View Post
You sound way too excited about studying for 7.

A bit of studying will fix that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk View Post
Nope. 7 is the must pass of all must passes next spring. Can leave absolutely nothing to chance. Study schedule starts on November 15th. Is it nuts? Probably. Will I pass? Definitely. Will it be worth it? Of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk's blog
A bit of an early start for a second sitting, but this exam is a must pass, and there's no such thing as too much studying for a must pass
Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I know that showing the last exam taken about 3 years ago is a deterrent (along with the low-ish GPA and no internship). Would it be a good idea to take the 1/P exam again? I don't feel it would take too much more studying...
Have you not been sitting for three years? Or sitting and not been passing for three years?

Neither is good really. But if your resume doesn't get tossed out, they're going to ask you the same question, and want a really good answer.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.c View Post
Have you not been sitting for three years? Or sitting and not been passing for three years?
I took the 2/FM exam after I got a job at a top engineering company. I didn't sit for exams, after that point, because studying would take away from the job I was doing. Now that I am out of that job, I am focusing much more heavily on passing exams.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I took the 2/FM exam after I got a job at a top engineering company. I didn't sit for exams, after that point, because studying would take away from the job I was doing. Now that I am out of that job, I am focusing much more heavily on passing exams.
so youre a career changer?
Old 03-27-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
This time line doesn't make sense based on your resume. Keep that in mind when you're formulating your answer.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprep View Post
Geico's entry-level analyst opening (last year) wanted your SAT math and verbal scores. I thought it was silly, and definitely shows that they were not thinking about career changers (they didn't even think to put "SAT and/or GRE").
" Please include SAT, ACT or GRE scores on your resume." -From Geico's entry-level analyst opening for this year.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Studying for VEEs & FAP
College: University at Buffalo Alumni
Favorite beer: Corona w/ Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.c View Post
" Please include SAT, ACT or GRE scores on your resume." -From Geico's entry-level analyst opening for this year.
They finally changed it, I guess that means there was another opening since last fall. I would think it's just an additional screen to look at, since I would imagine that someone with a high verbal GRE score is at least okay with English (though I could definitely be wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
REPENT
THE END IS NIGH
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluan View Post
You sound way too excited about studying for 7.

A bit of studying will fix that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk View Post
Nope. 7 is the must pass of all must passes next spring. Can leave absolutely nothing to chance. Study schedule starts on November 15th. Is it nuts? Probably. Will I pass? Definitely. Will it be worth it? Of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk's blog
A bit of an early start for a second sitting, but this exam is a must pass, and there's no such thing as too much studying for a must pass
Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscbill5 View Post
This time line doesn't make sense based on your resume. Keep that in mind when you're formulating your answer.
I don't feel this matters too much, but I'll explain. I went to a winter career fair in Feb 2008 where I landed a couple of offers from this company. I graduated in March, but stayed around college for one last quarter to teach a workshop. During May 2008, I took the FM exam. I had not started my other job since I was still working at school. In July, I started working as an engineer. Yes, I am desiring a career change.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I don't feel this matters too much, but I'll explain. I went to a winter career fair in Feb 2008 where I landed a couple of offers from this company. I graduated in March, but stayed around college for one last quarter to teach a workshop. During May 2008, I took the FM exam. I had not started my other job since I was still working at school. In July, I started working as an engineer. Yes, I am desiring a career change.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice!
Why are you suddenly interested in an actuarial career now that you were fired from engineering?

I don't personally care but someone will ask you. Make a great answer.

Tags
entry, resume