Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 PM
CAS

Exclamation Is contacting the Chief Actuary for a job really better than going through HR?

I have spent a couple of months using nothing but job boards and online company websites for looking for jobs. However, after months of rejection letters and not a single interview I'm beginning to have serious worries that my application is being rejected on the pre-screen. I have 2 exams passed and no relevant actuarial experience, but I do have a programming internship on my resume.

I have recently found contact details of Chief Actuaries and other official people at the companies I want to work at and I'm about to start emailing them my resume. What should I expect out of this?

Do Chief Actuaries or VPs try to help people like me, or should I email someone lower on the chain of command for better results? Just to get a flavor, some of the companies I'm applying to are Towers Watson, Liberty Mutual, Wellpoint, etc.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 PM
SOA

If you are 23 years old and born in December then I don't think the chief actuary will respond to you unless they otherwise know who you are. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
SOA AAA

Do note that chief actuaries usually have assistants who know where to forward resumes. Sometimes, they forward it to the chief actuary. Sometimes to another actuary. Sometimes to HR.

You shouldn't have serious worries about not getting through the pre-screening. That is exactly what is going on. Now that you know, you have to do something about it.

Oh, and if you're in Canada, you don't have enough exams passed to get into the "call" pile. you'll have to [insert patented advice].

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 PM

that's discouraging. if he had two exams and interviews but no offer yet his predicament would make sense, but lots of resumes sent out yet not even a phone interview and he clearly can compose reasonably well in English?? *sigh*
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM
CAS

I generally only emailed resumes when there were no job listings on the company website. I only got a response once - I emailed one of a few VPs and he forwarded my resume to the person in charge of the student program, who set up a phone interview. However, they warned me up front that they didn't expect to have many openings (hence no job listings) and would probably be filling any openings with their own interns. I guess I wasn't special enough for them to make an exception, and after a few phone interviews I got rejected.

I think it totally depends on the company, whether they have open positions, and whether you happen to email the right person. It's a good amount of luck. I'd aim lower than chief actuary but still someone who sounds like they have some level of authority. Emailing a recent ASA probably won't help much, since they are less likely to have any sort of leverage or hiring power.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 PM
CAS

But I'd definitely recommend trying. I mean, you never know when you're getting filtered out by Taleo or one of those awful things.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 PM
CAS SOA

@ Scherzo ? Do age and birthdate have something to do with getting a job? i am 20 and expect to graduate 2 years later when i am 22. so i must be umemployed for 1 more year ?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

If you cold email, treat the email as the equivalent of the cover letter. For me, whether or not a resume gets deleted or forwarded to the chief actuary / analyst development program leader is pretty much entirely down to what the email says.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo View Post
If you are 23 years old and born in December then I don't think the chief actuary will respond to you unless they otherwise know who you are. I could be wrong though.
Wut
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Queens College

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmind View Post
Wut
From his username.

Tags
chief actuary, employment, job hunt, pre-screen