Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-14-2019, 08:35 PM
Non-Actuary

Default GPS navigation apps with road avoidance features?

In the recent past I've encountered situations where where the GPS voice was relentlessly telling me to drive onto a closed road.

One was during lunchtime on a workday, and my couple of attempts to drive alternate routes resulted in it telling me to back through the same closed road, so I gave up and returned to work. After getting home that evening I spent the time to plot and memorize a route for the next day.

That was using my car's built-in navigation, which doesn't get online updates. I thought Google Maps would have been better, but when I was visiting a friend in another city yesterday it told me go drive onto a road which had been closed for construction for two weeks. And for the return trip, when setting up the route I wasn't able to preemptively tell it to avoid that road before I started driving.

Which GPS apps out there allow you to tell it that a particular road is closed, either in advance of the trip or in real-time when you encounter it? Which are proactively aware of roads have been closed for weeks? What about options to avoid categories of roads for other reasons, such as tolls, highways, school zones with under 25mph limits, etc.?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Waze has user-driven updates.

Google acquired Waze a few years ago. Sometimes, the Waze suggestions will make it into the google map app.

Vote for a cause. See DyalDragon's thread here.

The FSP contest is now underway.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM
SOA AAA

First world problems?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 07-14-2019, 09:22 PM

Last year my car told me to turn into what I thought was a dead end --- this was on a route that I had taken literally thousands of times before. Traffic wasn't flowing right --- I took the detour.

Up a very steep hill, past a sign that said no through traffic, through a neighborhood, down a very steep hill, out on the other side. No traffic headed my direction! Why? I had bypassed a major wreck. Detour added 15 minutes or so. Clearing the wreck (my neighbor who was caught in it told me later) took over two hours.

Now I always tell my car where I'm going and believe its suggestions, even if I think that I know better.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

"I understand health care now especially very well."
Old 07-14-2019, 09:57 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: PBR

+1 for Waze. I use it with Android Auto and it's amazing.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
First world problems?
A 21st century problem. People in third world countries also use navigation apps and encounter road closures. Even $40 Android phones have GPS.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
Waze has user-driven updates.
I understand it uses crowd-sourcing.

But how good is it with my-sourcing? If I tell it a particular road is closed, will it reroute around it for me regardless of what the crowd is saying about the same road?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 AM

I don't think Waze does my-sourcing, but have never had such problems with Waze - I think the crowd-sourcing provides the info that you want it to have. I would be stunned to find that a road had been closed for two weeks and Waze didn't correctly account for it.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Non-Actuary

There are other situations where the road just got blocked by the police, an accident, or a fallen tree a few minutes ago and the crowd might not know about it yet. I'd want the app to route around it for me if I say it's closed, even if it waits for confirmation from the crowd before automatically marking it closed for others.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Waze is pretty fast, even if it just happened a few minutes ago, but obviously doesn't account for something that you just saw. Would be surprised if you found something better tho. Really recommend it.

Also, if you use Waze, you're helping out all the other drivers around you - how about some anonymous charity, ya selfish bastard?