Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University
Default Advice on career track?

I recently passed exam P and I am now studying for 2-FM and I was wondering what entry-level work is the best for getting related experience that will help me get an entry-level actuarial job later on. At this point I don't think I can get an actuarial assistant or other entry-level job because I don't have more exams and I just have a generic business degree. I have been out of school several years and have done all sorts of different jobs, from logistics coordinating to managing a coffeeshop. I don't have any experience that would be considered useful to get into the insurance industry, or at least I don't think I do, and I was wondering what entry-level jobs will help the most with gaining relevant experience that can hopefully jump me into the actuarial profession in a year or two.

Claims?
Quoting policies (ie-sales)?
Other??

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

database architect ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for my annual dental checkup

Provider Contract Analyst

how to win friends and eat popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by feynman
Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough. Work as hard and as much as you want to on the things you like to do the best. Don't think about what you want to be, but what you want to do. Keep up some kind of a minimum with other things so that society doesn't stop you from doing anything at all.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

try getting a data analytics job. keywords are "big data" and "business intelligence."
Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
CAS

College: UC Berkeley

I was in a similar position a couple years ago (2 exams, no work experience). My first full-time job was in product management at a large P&C company, and I switched to an actuarial position a couple years later, so you could try that route. Data analyst (preferably in a finance/insurance company) or claims would also work well, I think. Make sure to highlight on your resume anything related to data analysis, quantitative, or computer skills (excel spreadsheet use? programming languages?). My only experience at the time was as an online math tutor and part-time lab assistant.

If you can possibly pass a 3rd exam, and gather a couple years of insurance-related work experience, then the actuarial hiring managers will know you're serious business .

Last edited by giganticdimsum; 01-08-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 PM
CAS

Get a job in the industry. Our team has former pricing analysts, claims adjusters, and underwriters on it. (In fact, literally everyone on the team who did not get an internship and later begin FT straight out of college began in another dept, but not necessarily the same company.)

An employment gap (or long periods under-employed) is the most difficult blemish on your resume to clear up. Often it just takes time fully employed to get past. It's tough to swallow but as a result you may have to think 2-3 years down the road not right now. Keep knocking out those exams though!

Last edited by Final Boss; 01-08-2013 at 08:35 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Thanks for all the advice, I've been looking into doing claims or being a contract analyst. These seem to be the most probable for me to get my foot in the door given lack of related experience. I was an electrical engineer at Motorola for several semesters while I was at Georgia Tech (back in 2003-2004, oh how time flies), but engineering wasn't my cup of tea for multiple reasons. I did however perform well under that position and got a patent disclosure for a device I created, but I was wondering: is 10 years too long ago to reference something like that on a resume? I have gaps in employment due to entrepreneurial ventures, most of which obviously weren't successful. Any suggestions on how to fill in the gaps on a resume when you were trying to start your own business? Seems like a big hill to climb at this point..
Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM

lol @ Georgia State being on the SOA's CAE listing
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unemployed Guy View Post
Thanks for all the advice, I've been looking into doing claims or being a contract analyst. These seem to be the most probable for me to get my foot in the door given lack of related experience. I was an electrical engineer at Motorola for several semesters while I was at Georgia Tech (back in 2003-2004, oh how time flies), but engineering wasn't my cup of tea for multiple reasons. I did however perform well under that position and got a patent disclosure for a device I created, but I was wondering: is 10 years too long ago to reference something like that on a resume? I have gaps in employment due to entrepreneurial ventures, most of which obviously weren't successful. Any suggestions on how to fill in the gaps on a resume when you were trying to start your own business? Seems like a big hill to climb at this point..
I would still write in a line or 2 for your job in Motorola.

I would also write everything you did for your own business (for 5 or 6 years). You just have to keep everything POSITIVE. There is no need to mention the failure. Say what you create. Say how much $$ you generate. Do you hire/manage people? How many clients do you have?

Good luck in your job search.

Tags
employment, entry level, jobs