Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 PM
SOA

Angry Resume critique for entry level jobs

yo guys I learnt about this "actuary" thing in my second year and I didn't major in act science for that reason.
Also no internship, passed 5 exams tho. please give some advice about my resume
THANKS!!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc ao.doc (38.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:50 PM
SOA

damn... this seems like a fake account. 5 exams and no work experience? Your best bet is to cold email small companies (but of course apply to all companies). The resume could also use a lot of work. It looks like it was made in a couple minutes.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 PM
SOA

wow didn't think people would not believe me.... I didn't know anyone in the field before so I thought I need to be ASA to work an entry-level job....
I am not posting fake stuff to waste people's time.
Thanks for the advice though I'll fix that
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by earplug View Post
wow didn't think people would not believe me.... I didn't know anyone in the field before so I thought I need to be ASA to work an entry-level job....
I am not posting fake stuff to waste people's time.
Thanks for the advice though I'll fix that
you might get interviews, but I don't think you're gonna get the same salary as most people that have 5 exams completed. You might have really good luck with cold calling small - mid sized companies (make sure to say you are looking for entry level work). Just beef up your resume and really expand on your tutoring and technical skills.

I'd also suggest not to say you didn't know you werent supposed to pass so many exams during interviews. Just say you wanna get your credentials because you think that's really when your career starts or something like that. good luck!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

The format with bullets everywhere looks bad. And it seems to have forced you to not use bullets where you should. You don't need it for education, exams (if you make changes below), or the two experience sections. You should use bullets everywhere you have "Description:".

I'd put exams first and call it Actuarial Exams. I'd get rid of all the SOAs and the all-caps and use "Exam MLC". Rather than putting the "Passed" on the RHS, I'd make it a left-aligned column fairly near the exam name. The wall of bullets looks bad and I'd get rid of the bullets in the exam section. The numeric date format is fairly non-standard and hard to read. I'd use Mmm YYYY.

I'd put the degree on a separate line from the university. I'd abbreviate B.S. That'll make the major stick out much more. I'd put the date on the RHS. You don't have to label it is aspected.

Having two sections that refer to Experience in two different ways is confusing. I'd only use that to refer to paying jobs.

I'd put the jobs next. I'd add a date range for each on the RHS. I'd put the company and job title on separate lines. The indentation looks bad here. Using bullets for description will probably fix it. I'd try to leave a little space between jobs.

"Help" is a weak start and I'd try to word it to use "Taught".

Do you need the "Brand"? You don't need a bullet for Old Navy, as the job is pretty obvious. If you feel you have to have a bullet, I'd avoid anything like "duties" - words that have you just doing what you're told. There's no good reason for "various" or similar words.

Your intended audience will have heard of SAS and there's no need to write the name out. On the 2nd line, I'd get rid of "programming". I'd put Excel first. I'd list VBA separately and put it after Excel. I'd leave off "Microsoft", Word, and PP. It's maybe a big awkward, but I'd just use "in" rather than "user of", which seems more awkward.

The context of the technical experience is not clear. I suppose this was school work. I'd not use "experience" with school work. This section has a couple non-native-English-speaker indicators - process and macro should be plural here. Since you're already declared yourself as proficient in R, VBA, and Python, I don't know that you gain much from this section. It seems mostly filler.

I'd get rid of the "statistics" after R. "Perform" seems the wrong word for what follows.

I'd just call it VBA. You've stuck together two completely different things with an "and" and it makes it confusing to read.

I'd not have "...to program .... programs.." Again, it seems like two bullets stuck together. If they're together, it's less awkward to put the shorter application first.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Tags
entry level, resume