Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interrogative Statement View Post
What gives? Usually you give decently correct answers.
If you can't pass exam P and FM, you shouldn't become an actuary.

If you can pass exam P and FM, you will be faced with the lowest level of interview competition in actuarial compared with any job of similar pay.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 AM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
If you can't pass exam P and FM, you shouldn't become an actuary.

If you can pass exam P and FM, you will be faced with the lowest level of interview competition in actuarial compared with any job of similar pay.
I agree that you need to look into other career options if you can't pass P and FM. (or, frankly, all of the preliminaries at some point)

But let's face it, there are more EL candidates out there than positions. (no, I do not have statistics to back that up.. it's just the feel I get from job-seekers both on and not on this board)
Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted

The state of 2013 EL job market? Much different than it was 5 years ago. It's been at least 4 years since I've seen a "normal" EL candidate hired for an EL position. Much more common to see now 4 or 5 exams passed and often bringing in candidates who are well out of school. Basically, if you're in school you need to focus on taking any job, actuarial EL being a pipe dream. No one wants the 23 yo n00bs right now because better options are readily available at EL. Might be time for most of you to drop out of the actuarial pool because, honestly, it's unlikely to happen for you. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
The thing about a JUICE troll is I'm not always sure if it's troll or serious. It's truly a thing of beauty. This thread is amazing, I honestly don't know if he means it or not.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
But let's face it, there are more EL candidates out there than positions. (no, I do not have statistics to back that up.. it's just the feel I get from job-seekers both on and not on this board)
Fox News has confirmed that for just about any job there are more candidates than positions available.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Fox News has confirmed that for just about any job there are more candidates than positions available.
This field seems to be quite a bit tougher than, say, software development, for example. I'm not sure how it compares against other technical fields like engineering, though; I'd be curious to know, but doubt we could get an objective answer.

Software has jobs coming out the ears, though.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Right now, engineering grads have the best job prospects. It wasn't that way during the dot-com bust, but it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
This field seems to be quite a bit tougher than, say, software development, for example. I'm not sure how it compares against other technical fields like engineering, though; I'd be curious to know, but doubt we could get an objective answer.

Software has jobs coming out the ears, though.
Google has 40,000 applicants for 1,500 internships. And the quality of applicants, especially the top 10,000, is very high.

Again, exam P and FM can be learned reasonable in a 5 month period. It takes much longer to develop the skills to be a good coder. But then again, software development compensation >>> actuarial compensation. So it's a tough comparison.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Google has 40,000 applicants for 1,500 internships. And the quality of applicants, especially the top 10,000, is very high.

Again, exam P and FM can be learned reasonable in a 5 month period. It takes much longer to develop the skills to be a good coder. But then again, software development compensation >>> actuarial compensation. So it's a tough comparison.
Comparing the absolute top of one profession with the average in another? That proves what, exactly?

The bolded is also not universally true. Depends on what you do, where you do it, where you work, etc.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Comparing the absolute top of one profession with the average in another? That proves what, exactly?
Dude the compensation isn't comparable. Way more money in software development. You guys love to compare a small group of actuaries that have a relatively high average level of intelligence due to structural issues compared with much bigger populations of employees that have a lower average.

I've never heard an actuary say, "well we get paid more than underwriters, but if you adjust for intelligence, underwriters get paid way more than us".

Quote:
The bolded is also not universally true. Depends on what you do, where you do it, where you work, etc.
It's irrelevant. There are more entry level software developers making new fellow money than there are new fellows each year.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Dude the compensation isn't comparable. Way more money in software development. You guys love to compare a small group of actuaries that have a relatively high average level of intelligence due to structural issues compared with much bigger populations of employees that have a lower average.

I've never heard an actuary say, "well we get paid more than underwriters, but if you adjust for intelligence, underwriters get paid way more than us".

It's irrelevant. There are more entry level software developers making new fellow money than there are new fellows each year.
Top real estate brokers make more than both. What's your point?

Tags
2013, actuarial, employment, entry level