Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-05-2016, 03:08 PM
CAS SOA

College: Florida Atlantic University

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I know someone who did that - he went to a state school, because he lived at home, not in a dorm. Who wants a 14-year-old living with 18-22-yr-olds?

He went to Harvard for his PhD for math, which is what counts. If you're an academic, nobody cares what undergrad institution you went to.

Actually, in general, nobody really cares about your undergrad. Not as much as you, at any rate.
That's pretty much what happened to me. The high school I went to made us dual enroll full-time, so we only had college courses since 10th grade. Thus for three years we had only college and the freedom to choose our majors. After three years, high school graduation, I was close my degree and so they offered me one more year to stay just to finish it.

I think college is college, at least at the undergraduate level, and I wouldn't have learned any more undergrad math in an Ivy League compared to my school. Plus no student loans/debts is a plus.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from three positions, already interviewed via phone. If I don't get into any of the three, I'll most likely take my GRE General and Subject Math and look into going to PhD. I'm already switching my studying from Exam 3/MFE to GRE Math.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
From what I can tell, OP probably intentionally told the interviewers he/she was 18. It definitely sounds cool to tell people you're 18 and graduated college right?
I normally tell them during the phone interview stage. When they mention my lack of internships/experience in the interview, I bring up that I would've only been 16 or 17 when I was eligible to intern. I don't tell them that as an excuse but just so they're aware. It's then when they ask me how old I am to which I say 18.

I didn't mention my age in this round of applications, however. Hopefully something'll change.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:13 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
OP, what extra-curriculars and/or jobs did you do during college, or did you solely focus on your academics?

Do you find yourself having trouble coming up with examples for the "tell me about a time when..." style questions?
No, behavioral questions are fine with me. I work as a tutor right now at my university and I've dealt with more than enough students to easily answer all of the "Tell me about when you've seen misconduct in the work place" or "Explaining something to someone who's not an expert."

While I was in school, however, I did soley focus on academia. I took 6 classes each semester to milk as much as I could. I don't regret it, especially since the clubs that were available to me in that status were pretty lame.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgold2012 View Post
No, behavioral questions are fine with me. I work as a tutor right now at my university and I've dealt with more than enough students to easily answer all of the "Tell me about when you've seen misconduct in the work place" or "Explaining something to someone who's not an expert."

While I was in school, however, I did soley focus on academia. I took 6 classes each semester to milk as much as I could. I don't regret it, especially since the clubs that were available to me in that status were pretty lame.
I hate questions that are like "Explain something to someone who's not an expert."

Okay, let me explain to you how to ask a question with enough detail to possibly give someone an inkling of an idea of the kind of answer you are looking for.

It's about as lazy as "Tell me something interesting."
Old 09-05-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
From what I can tell, OP probably intentionally told the interviewers he/she was 18. It definitely sounds cool to tell people you're 18 and graduated college right?

Makes me cringe just thinking about it
Old 09-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgold2012 View Post

So you sound just like everyone else who posts threads like this in the careers forum: 2 exams, college degree, minimal work experience as a tutor doing the same thing as your college courses but no internship experience, or interesting extracurriculars or hobbies or leadership.

That resume goes in the mediocre pile with all the others.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 PM
CAS

Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for 5
Favorite beer: Beer

Go to grad school. Your overbearing parents didn't spend all that money on private tutoring, robbing you of your childhood while withholding their approval and love, so you can squander it on an actuarial career and not pursuing PhD.
ACAS

Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
So you sound just like everyone else who posts threads like this in the careers forum: 2 exams, college degree, minimal work experience as a tutor doing the same thing as your college courses but no internship experience, or interesting extracurriculars or hobbies or leadership.

That resume goes in the mediocre pile with all the others.
This being said, it's not impossible to get a job out of the mediocre pile, it's just a lot harder.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkei18 View Post
This being said, it's not impossible to get a job out of the mediocre pile, it's just a lot harder.
I am an example of that

Tags
18 y/o college grads, age, employment, entry level