Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Followup: you're fine. Most reasonable hiring teams would not even ask you about it if they found the article.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:44 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
When I was interviewing candidates, I certainly Google'd. HR might not bother, but the hiring team likely would.
I always google interviewees. I usually wait until after the interview just in case I do find something cray.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 04-08-2019, 12:48 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTheActuary View Post
Hello friends! This is my first thread on the outpost, took the admin almost a month to validate my account. Much love to you all.

Last year I ran into some trouble with the law. I'm going through classes that will result in the dismissal of my case and a clean record. There is however, one small problem. When my name is searched, one of the first entries is my town's police blotter, listing my name as well as the nature of my charges. I worked to clear my name and record with the law, and amend for past mistakes, but I fear when employers search my name and see this website, they'll immediately toss out my resume.

So I guess my question is are there any people who work in recruitment or HR of an actuarial firm who could tell me what you would do if you saw an excellent candidate who happened to have something of this nature linked to his name online? What would you do with his resume? Also if anybody has any tips for how to get more search results above the website to push it off the first page of google that would be great. My record will be clean but there will still be this damaging article floating around the web. Should I just give up on finding an actuarial career, or is this the type of thing that can be ignored by recruiters.

To anyone who reads this post, thanks for your feedback. I have the FM exam passed, over a 3.1 GPA, and a history of work experience, albeit not in the actuarial industry. I'm also scheduled to take IFM this June, and I've been studying with adapt. Any tips from anyone is appreciated.
It depends on what the charges were. Since you've described them as something that can be cleared up with classes, they can't be too, too serious. If they don't involve financial crimes (fraud, embezzlement, et al.), weapons, animals or kids, you still have a chance.

Be honest about it, and have a good explanation ready for when they ask. (I know a few colleagues that have one or more DUIs on their records, and they're still employed. RNT, YMMV.)

Or change your name to something really common and generic, like "James Jones" or "Michael Bolton". They can't hold something against you if they can't pick you out of the crowd.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 04-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Do you have a common name? Is it in the first pages of google when you search your name?

My name isn't so common, but there are dozens of me in the world and I don't even show up in the first page of google.
My name is John Doe.

Seems like I've been found murdered a few times.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:16 PM
SOA

College: Central Connecticut State University

No, my name isn't common. Thanks for all the replies guys, its nice to hear feedback about this. I picture it as a large obstacle I need to overcome to get a job, but a guess I can see how someone from HR might be able to look past it.

Edit:The offense was me getting pulled over traveling unreasonably fast, underage and intoxicated above 0.08 with possession of less than half an ounce of marijuana if this helps

Last edited by AllenTheActuary; 04-08-2019 at 11:49 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I almost never do google searches on candidates, at least in the initial stages. I have, in addition to a shitton of resumes to read (~200 per position), my regular work to do. I generally don't go digging for things online to disqualify candidates. I never really look at LinkedIn either for EL candidates since they don't have much experience anyway.

As for stuff like criminal records, I outsource that task to the background check process. If that process reveals that you've done something that violates company policy, that's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:36 PM
CAS

I'm pretty sure no one would bother to google you until they were seriously considering interviewing you. So I don't think you'd be screened out up-front. After that, I agree with the others. If you were caught with pot, or were arrested for running a red light odds are no one would care. If you embezzled money or raped a child, odds are no one would hire you as an actuary. In between, well, it depends.

As for pushing it down in Google, I just googled myself, and was surprised at what I found. Low on the first page, I found that I died in the 70s. On the second page, I found an email about a horticultural order I placed many years ago. I also found my 1940s census record. (I was not yet born in the 1940s, and that's not the same person as the one who died in the 70s.) And there are several companies that want to sell you my name and address. But there's all sorts of stuff that you could get created for you. My Linked in, Facebook, and Instagram account are listed. So is a comment I made on my Patreon account, along with some info from my GoodReads account. Information the CAS posts about me shows up, as does a comment I made to the American Academy of Actuaries about some exposure draft. Blurbs about some of my hobby activities shows up, too.

So I think you realistically could push that to the second page. But you never know for sure. That email about the horticultural order was the first hit on my name for more than 5 years. (I even had a friend at Google figure out why. I can tell you off-line if you care.) I'm delighted that has finally dropped to the second page.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:19 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

just expect it to come up and have a one or two sentence explanation. "blah blah i was young and learned my lesson blah blah it was an unfortunate mistake blah." if an employer makes a huge deal about it, then you probably don't want to work there anyway.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Edit:The offense was me getting pulled over traveling unreasonably fast, underage and intoxicated with a BAC of .02 with possession of less than half an ounce of marijuana if this helps
IFYP, based on how the police blotter actually reads. Now, it's possible you're correct about what actually happened. On the one hand, you were there. On the other hand, according to you, you were highly intoxicated. So why don't we take the police's word for it that you were just barely over the line.

There's rarely a single right answer to an interview question. But I'm quite certain that if you are asked to "tell me about this incident where you were DUI with a BAC of .02" and you give a response of "oh, it was actually over .08", that would be a very very wrong answer.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
No, my name isn't common. Thanks for all the replies guys, its nice to hear feedback about this. I picture it as a large obstacle I need to overcome to get a job, but a guess I can see how someone from HR might be able to look past it.

Edit:The offense was me getting pulled over traveling unreasonably fast, underage and intoxicated above 0.08 with possession of less than half an ounce of marijuana if this helps
this offense really doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. it falls under the umbrella of everyone makes mistakes.
Spoiler:

Tags
internship, legal, online, reputation, resume