Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 03-18-2018, 06:14 PM
SOA

Default FA Excel Spreadsheet to Submit

I know we have to submit the Excel back for FA. Me and probably some other who are currently doing FA are confused what should be included in the Excel spreadsheet, because we are not asked to do any changes to the model like some EOMs, or show a specific calculation.

Currently I am leaving the Model page as it is. But I add another tab for Task 2, showing all portfolios that I have run. I also add another tab for Task 4, showing all sensitivity test results. The content of those two new tabs is in Appendix of those tasks in word document as well.

Could someone help me understand if that is what the Excel should include? Did I miss something? Thank you!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:36 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Module & Exam
Favorite beer: Summer Ale

I did something similar in my spreadsheet and MMR'd. I don't remember FA saying anything about what you should be including. When I submitted it, my thoughts were that they need to be able to tell you did the work if they looked at the excel file.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:25 PM

Studying for EA-2L

I did a bunch of calculations for task 6 that I also included in the spreadsheet.
Spoiler:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM
SOA

Thanks I will add task 6 calculations too!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: depends on the day - local craft though!

I think they have it programmed where there's a macro and everyone gets different #s. So they have you upload it so they can verify the #s you used in you calcs if needed.

"Exam C/4 is the catch-all exam containing all mathematical material that doesn't fit easily into one of the other exams." -Abraham Weishaus, ASM manual

SBQ, ASA, EA
P FM MFE MLC C VEE (all 3)
FAP 1-8
EA-2L EA-2F

The best exam thread ever:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=193252
Old 07-27-2019, 11:28 AM
SOA

College: University of Rochester

Did people clean up their spreadsheet before submitting? While I'm working I make a ton of side notes and calculations in the tables, and when I do sensitivity testing I don't always make sure the format translated in my copy/paste (since I'm generally just looking to compare numbers and I do that visually). I'm debating if I want to spend the time to clean it all up and make it presentable if I've been generally using it as a scratch table.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:05 PM
SOA

Studying for PA, LTAM, FA (FAP)
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)
Favorite beer: I don't drink beer, but I love the Dos Equis commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRemy511 View Post
Did people clean up their spreadsheet before submitting? While I'm working I make a ton of side notes and calculations in the tables, and when I do sensitivity testing I don't always make sure the format translated in my copy/paste (since I'm generally just looking to compare numbers and I do that visually). I'm debating if I want to spend the time to clean it all up and make it presentable if I've been generally using it as a scratch table.
Scratch table as in writing your excel functions and trying to see the intermediate results and other relationships? If you did that, back the file up and get rid of anything that doesn't belong. Unless, I suppose, you labeled columns and somehow explained yourself so the grader knows what you are doing. At the same time, if that "scratch" work isn't exactly professional, kill it.

Clean it up as best you can if you have time--I feel that sort of thing matters to the graders. If you are on day 4, just make sure someone can follow your work. Give yourself a few hour cushion to complete the submission process; SOA's site has a lot of issues. GL!

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 07-27-2019, 02:14 PM
SOA

College: University of Rochester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
Scratch table as in writing your excel functions and trying to see the intermediate results and other relationships? If you did that, back the file up and get rid of anything that doesn't belong. Unless, I suppose, you labeled columns and somehow explained yourself so the grader knows what you are doing. At the same time, if that "scratch" work isn't exactly professional, kill it.

Clean it up as best you can if you have time--I feel that sort of thing matters to the graders. If you are on day 4, just make sure someone can follow your work. Give yourself a few hour cushion to complete the submission process; SOA's site has a lot of issues. GL!
Thanks, It's probably rather unprofessional to leave it the way it is. I'm just starting day 3 so I at least believe I have time (a 2 hour buffer for uploading the file and making sure my supervisor is in the office to attest).

I just read a note that says "what is this, and what is causing it?" in the excel table, should definitely remove that.

Tags
final assessment