Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Around the World > United Kingdom / Europe > General Chat Section: United Kingdom / Europe
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Chat Section: United Kingdom / Europe Non-Actuarial Related Discussion Area

Old 12-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes
Default London girls

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051219/..._hating_barbie

Quote:
Researchers Find Barbie Is Often Mutilated By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer
Mon Dec 19, 6:02 PM ET

Barbie, beware. The iconic plastic doll is often mutilated at the hands of young girls, according to research published Monday by British academics.

"The girls we spoke to see Barbie torture as a legitimate play activity, and see the torture as a 'cool' activity," said Agnes Nairn, one of the University of Bath researchers. "The types of mutilation are varied and creative, and range from removing the hair to decapitation, burning, breaking and even microwaving."

Researchers from the university's marketing and psychology departments questioned 100 children about their attitudes to a range of products as part of a study on branding. They found Barbie provoked the strongest reaction, with youngsters reporting "rejection, hatred and violence," Nairn said.

"The meaning of 'Barbie' went beyond an expressed antipathy; actual physical violence and torture towards the doll was repeatedly reported, quite gleefully, across age, school and gender," she said.

While boys often expressed nostalgia and affection toward Action Man the British equivalent of GI Joe renouncing Barbie appeared to be a rite of passage for many girls, Nairn said.

"The most readily expressed reason for rejecting Barbie was that she was babyish, and girls saw her as representing their younger childhood out of which they felt they had now grown," she said.

Nairn said many girls saw Barbie as an inanimate object rather than a treasured toy.

"Whilst for an adult the delight the child felt in breaking, mutilating and torturing their dolls is deeply disturbing, from the child's point of view they were simply being imaginative in disposing of an excessive commodity in the same way as one might crush cans for recycling," she said.

Manufacturer Mattel, which sells 94 million Barbies a year worldwide, said the doll remained the "No. 1 fashion doll brand."

Mattel U.K. said that despite the findings of "this very small group of children, we know that there are millions of girls in the U.K. and across the world that love and enjoy playing with Barbie and will continue to do so in the future."
Old 12-20-2005, 04:16 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

For a minute, I was confused, because this is how I parsed the top of the article:

Quote:
Researchers Find Barbie Is Often Mutilated By JILL LAWLESS
Then I read the article trying to figure out who JILL LAWLESS is.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:29 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo
For a minute, I was confused, because this is how I parsed the top of the article:

Then I read the article trying to figure out who JILL LAWLESS is.
Yeah, I was wondering if it was some sort of euphemism (or whatever the word is I'm looking for) for the type of girl that would do something like this...kind of like John Q Public or Joe Sixpack or John Doe or Jane Doe or something.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 AM

Hee. I actually know Jill Lawless. Her Dad is a colleague (and a famous statistician) here at UW. You wouldn't know she was a Barbie mutilator, though she does look like a feminist, so it follows I guess.

My brothers used to ritually slaughter all my dolls with kitchen knives in midnight rituals.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 AM

Favorite beer: Four Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Hardy View Post
she does look like a feminist
Dare I ask what this means?