Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2019, 04:17 PM
DyalDragon's Avatar
DyalDragon DyalDragon is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Here
Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...
Posts: 33,020
Default DyalDragon plays with his balls

A couple of weeks ago I played in a qualifier tournament for the APA US Amateur Championships, and despite not having picked up a pool cue in roughly 6 months, I did fairly well. Out of 130ish players I made it to the last 16, and I firmly believe that if I had been practicing and/or playing regularly I would have easily beaten the two players that I lost against. Both matches were very close, and the mistakes that cost me the second match were easily preventable with practice (at least in my experience).


So, in preparation for next year, I've decided to start trying to get back into shape ( <- billiards pun ).
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C Predictive Analytics
VEE FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP APC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2019, 04:17 PM
DyalDragon's Avatar
DyalDragon DyalDragon is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Here
Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...
Posts: 33,020
Default

To start with, there's a skill level test devised by a guy named Tor Lowry (YouTube video here), so I'm working my way through that so that I have a way to gauge progress periodically. Basically, you toss N balls out onto the table (starting with N=3) and pocket them all in numerical order. Successfully do this 10 times before failing 4 times, and you "pass" that round. Two consecutive passes means you increase N, two consecutive fails and you decrease N.


The levels range from 3 to 8, although I disagree with the guy on the upper limit, so I will probably keep going if/when I hit level 8. Started last week at level 3, playing one round a day for 4 days. Not really sure of the best way to track yet, but this should work for now:


Current Earned Level = 5


Progress:
3 - W(10-1) L(8-4) W(10-1) W(10-3)
4 - L(5-4) W(10-2) W(10-3)
5 - L(6-4) W(10-1) L(0-4)
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C Predictive Analytics
VEE FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP APC

Last edited by DyalDragon; 11-04-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Vorian Atreides's Avatar
Vorian Atreides Vorian Atreides is offline
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: As far as 3 cups of sugar will take you
Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers
Posts: 66,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
To start with, there's a skill level test devised by a guy named Tor Lowry (YouTube video here), so I'm working my way through that so that I have a way to gauge progress periodically. Basically, you toss N balls out onto the table (starting with N=3) and pocket them all in numerical order. Successfully do this 10 times before failing 4 times, and you "pass" that round. Two consecutive passes means you increase N, two consecutive fails and you decrease N.


The levels range from 3 to 8, although I disagree with the guy on the upper limit, so I will probably keep going if/when I hit level 8. Started last week at level 3, playing one round a day for 4 days. Not really sure of the best way to track yet, but this should work for now:


Current Earned Level = 4


Progress:
3 - W(10-1) L(8-4) W(10-1) W(10-3)

4 -
In a typical game using 15 balls, your goal is to sink 8 of them.

I think that's why there's a upper limit at 8.

Getting a 9 in this context is the proverbial score of 7 on an Actuarial Exam.
__________________
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!


Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2019, 05:07 PM
DyalDragon's Avatar
DyalDragon DyalDragon is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Here
Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...
Posts: 33,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
In a typical game using 15 balls, your goal is to sink 8 of them.

I think that's why there's a upper limit at 8.

Getting a 9 in this context is the proverbial score of 7 on an Actuarial Exam.
Yes, in 8 ball you have 15 balls and you have to make 8, but you don't have to make them in numerical order like you would in 9-ball or 10-ball.

My main issue is that he calls level 8 the "Pro Player" level, which is misleading. I would have been an 8 (or better) based on this skill test in the past, and I was no where near "pro" level, unless you are using the term very loosely or locally (sort of like a "house pro" that gives lessons at a golf course).



The other reason it bothers me is that the skill level system was supposedly designed for 9-ball players, so it seems like the optimal level to shoot for would be 9. I believe there was a FAQ posted by him (or an AMA, can't remember) on reddit, and the hand wavy explanation was that in 9 ball you only need to make the first 8 balls and then leave yourself a shot on the 9, so that's why he doesn't count it, but if that was truly the case it would make more sense for level N to use N+1 balls.




Regardless of whether I agree with his level naming or upper bounds, the test is still a good way to determine your current ability, and it's straightforward enough that it can be expanded above 8 balls without having to change the rules at all.
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C Predictive Analytics
VEE FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP APC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Funemployed Funemployed is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Above it all
College: Ball State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root or Birch
Posts: 2,135
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
The other reason it bothers me is that the skill level system was supposedly designed for 9-ball players, so it seems like the optimal level to shoot for would be 9. I believe there was a FAQ posted by him (or an AMA, can't remember) on reddit, and the hand wavy explanation was that in 9 ball you only need to make the first 8 balls and then leave yourself a shot on the 9, so that's why he doesn't count it, but if that was truly the case it would make more sense for level N to use N+1 balls.
In 9 ball, I would guess it is assumed you make at least one ball on the break (otherwise opponent gets control), thus no more than 8 balls left to pocket in order.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-17-2019, 11:48 AM
DyalDragon's Avatar
DyalDragon DyalDragon is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Here
Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...
Posts: 33,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funemployed View Post
In 9 ball, I would guess it is assumed you make at least one ball on the break (otherwise opponent gets control), thus no more than 8 balls left to pocket in order.
The skill test is basically ball-in-hand for whatever number of balls you're on, so level 8 would be equivalent of your opponent breaking, making 1 ball, and scratching.
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C Predictive Analytics
VEE FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP APC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2019, 04:28 PM
JollyGoodFCAS's Avatar
JollyGoodFCAS JollyGoodFCAS is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Earth (most of the time)
Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva
Posts: 37,312
Default

Nice pun. Why are most pool tables green?

Spoiler:
You'd be green too if someone racked your balls
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lit041000 View Post
FCAS is the yoda of puns. He sprinkles little treasures when the pun gods smile upon us
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2019, 04:32 PM
DyalDragon's Avatar
DyalDragon DyalDragon is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Here
Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...
Posts: 33,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGoodFCAS View Post
Nice pun. Why are most pool tables green?

Spoiler:
You'd be green too if someone racked your balls
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C Predictive Analytics
VEE FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP APC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2019, 04:47 PM
DyalDragon's Avatar
DyalDragon DyalDragon is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Here
Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...
Posts: 33,020
Default

For whoever may be interested: <- awesome trickshot video channel on YouTube
__________________
P FM MFE MLC C Predictive Analytics
VEE FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP APC
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2019, 08:39 AM
#Hawaii2019's Avatar
#Hawaii2019 #Hawaii2019 is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Studying for Hawaii
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
For whoever may be interested: <- awesome trickshot video channel on YouTube
i've seen a lot of his stuff. awesome work but he's devoid of personality in most of his videos
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.44177 seconds with 9 queries