Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAIIPRO View Post
I don't do any modeling in my job, so still kind of figuring out the logistics of it as I go.

Question: If I'm recommending that we stochastically model the investment rate. How would that model incorporate itself into the rest of the Can-Do model? For instance, would I model 100 strings of 80 interest rates (100 scenarios and 80 quarters in each), and then use those as the monthly interest rates for my scenarios?

Or would I model the same number of interest rates, but take some sort of resulting average to use (deterministically) in my Can-Do model?

Obviously the first option would be much more time consuming? Also, how to we answer the question of 'how hard would it be to implement'? I have no idea how much time it would take...only that it would take considerable research and computer resources.
Frankly, I don't really know the best answer to that question. However, instead of explicitly answering that question, you could include that question as part of your answer to the "how hard to implement" question. In order to implement your proposed change, that's obviously one question that will have to be answered, and it may take some time and research in order to find the best answer to it.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam C & FAP 7
College: Honour bachelor

I got feedback from SOA for this task, and it says "You do not discuss any issues that may be encountered in using stochastic models for inter-dependent variables"...I have no idea what they want now. I suggested stochastic modeling for most of the economic variables and whether it is hard or not to implement them and now just don[t know what else to add. Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 PM
SOA

dunno, but did you discuss challenges in implementing stochastic models?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C & FAP 7
College: Honour bachelor

I have discussed several improvements...from model documentation, presentation, prtoection etc. But I also discussed both economic and non-economic assumptions and inputs shortcomings in my paper. The feedback from SOA is" You do not discuss any inssues that may be encountered in using stochastic modeling for inter-dependant variables". I have already discussed sensitivity analysis...what else do they want?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDPA and GHFVA
College: Hard Knox U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irana View Post
I have discussed several improvements...from model documentation, presentation, prtoection etc. But I also discussed both economic and non-economic assumptions and inputs shortcomings in my paper. The feedback from SOA is" You do not discuss any inssues that may be encountered in using stochastic modeling for inter-dependant variables". I have already discussed sensitivity analysis...what else do they want?
You wouldn't expect high investment yield and cost of capital when inflation is low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff

Tags
can do, can-do