Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:20 AM

Studying for double bass & jazz piano
Default Some nice suggestions re formatting here

(Apologies if there is a better thread for this, but I couldn't find one quickly).

Some good suggestions here re worksheet formattting:

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2012/01...rmatting-tips/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
a21c is one of the better posters on the AO. That's not saying he's good.

UK software developer, actuary, musician, atheist. All posts in a personal capacity (unless explicitly stated otherwise in the post).
Old 12-10-2015, 01:33 AM
CAS AAA

No one live blogged this?

Didn't anybody count the "um"s?
Old 12-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
No one live blogged this?

Didn't anybody count the "um"s?
The session was recorded so people can count the ums at their own convenience.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: An icy cold one in a glass bottle

I liked the session. I even learned a thing or two.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:06 PM
CAS

You mentioned using a macro to toggle displaying formulas. You don't need a macro since the default Excel shortcut to do this is Ctrl+` (I don't know what that character is called, it's the same button as tilde on my keyboard).

Last edited by examsarehard; 12-10-2015 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 12-10-2015, 02:08 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Dallas

Great job, MPC!

One nitpick: I am not a fan of grouping. This bias dates back to the pre-Google 90s, when I received a workbook with grouped rows. I knew there was something weird about the workbook because I couldn't sort or filter it, and the symptom was the column of dots on the left margin. I couldn't get rid of the grouping via copy paste to another workbook. I didn't know the name of what had been done to the workbook; I just knew someone had put a pox on it.

This was before the Excel 2007 ribbon. I eventually painstakingly figured out that I was dealing with grouped data via the main menu and its many sub-menus - it had to be in there somewhere, right?

If you are going to foist grouping on someone, make sure you tell them what it is and how to turn it off. Hiding could be a lesser evil than grouping.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by examsarehard View Post
You mentioned using a macro to toggle displaying formulas. You can use Ctrl+` to do this (I don't know what that character is called, it's the same button as tilde on my keyboard).
Awesome -- thanks!

If you don't, I'll make a note of it at the Actex eLearning site for the info of others. Not everybody is going to want to fool around with VBA.

In my own case, I'm generally flipping between different Excel set-ups and versions, sometimes with macros with some standard keystrokes re-assigned. (I want to kill the person who re-assigned CTRL-A in one a spreadsheet I received once. It took me forever to figure out what had happened).

As a result, I usually just keep the specific code/toggles I want, set up the way I want, in PERSONAL.XLSB.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 12-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Moore View Post
Great job, MPC!

One nitpick: I am not a fan of grouping. This bias dates back to the pre-Google 90s, when I received a workbook with grouped rows. I knew there was something weird about the workbook because I couldn't sort or filter it, and the symptom was the column of dots on the left margin. I couldn't get rid of the grouping via copy paste to another workbook. I didn't know the name of what had been done to the workbook; I just knew someone had put a pox on it.

This was before the Excel 2007 ribbon. I eventually painstakingly figured out that I was dealing with grouped data via the main menu and its many sub-menus - it had to be in there somewhere, right?

If you are going to foist grouping on someone, make sure you tell them what it is and how to turn it off. Hiding could be a lesser evil than grouping.
I generally don't want to sort or filter in production spreadsheets for the underlying data as it is. (I certainly don't want to do it on mortality tables, the specific example I showed)

This might be for a later webcast, about the distinction of tools of data exploration vs. building spreadsheets for "production" purposes (e.g., regular reports and the kind of spreadsheet I was trying to build in the example.)

But back to your point -- I agree it's a good idea for people to know what constraints using certain Excel techniques will do to their spreadsheets. And to throw out a practice that doesn't help them in a particular situation.... but to think through the trade-offs when doing so.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 12-11-2015, 11:31 AM

College: Drake U

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
(I want to kill the person who re-assigned CTRL-A in one a spreadsheet I received once. It took me forever to figure out what had happened).
I can feel your pain. I had to deal with a bunch of related spreadsheets in which the author had reassigned CTRL-F to a macro.

"I'm from Iowa. I only work in space." - Adm. James T. Kirk

Tags
actex, excel, professionalism, spreadsheet, webinar