Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > SoA Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 05-25-2017, 12:33 AM
SOA

College: Graduated from National University of Singapore
Question FSA Track for Health Actuarial Analyst

Hi, I graduated with B.Sc in Mathematics and Statistics last year, and will be working as Health Actuarial Analyst in one of insurance company in Singapore. I am considering whether to take QFI or GH track for FSA. Taking QFI will be easier for me because of I have strong background in undergraduate studies. Taking GH will be relevant and value-added for the job.

Could you give advice on the track choices, considering also: possible future transfer to other fields (property/life/investment), reward by company (whether company will appreciate or reward the employee taking relevant track), etc?
FRM: 1 2

Last edited by stefanuslie; 05-25-2017 at 12:36 AM..
Old 05-25-2017, 01:20 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for CAS

You should go for the track with more relevance to your job.
However, keep in mind that the GH track is focused on US group & health regulations and business.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngorchard View Post
You should go for the track with more relevance to your job.
I agree with this. Your background may make studying a little easier for the QFI exams, but I don't think that should be the sole determinant. For either exam, there's going to be a massive syllabus with tons of reading, lists and problems, so I don't think it would be a huge difference. For Health, a lot of the exam is understanding concepts more than memorizing formulas or doing certain types of problems over and over again.

If you're planning on making a switch sometime soon to another industry, then maybe consider doing another track. Otherwise, if you're in the healthcare industry, I think the Health track makes the most sense and would be the most valuable to your employer (and therefore you, at this point).

That being said, once you get through your FSA, there are not going to be a lot of people that really care what track you chose for your FSA, as long as you have that designation.

To answer your other question, if you're looking at transferring to P&C, I would take some time to truly think about that right now, since you'd likely have to go back a bit and do the CAS exams. If you feel that there's a realistic chance of getting into Life or Investments soon, QFI could make sense, but unless you're planning on leaving the health job soon, my recommendation is the health track.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either one, if you're able to get through it and get your designation.

(Full disclosure - I do teach the Health seminars, but that's my honest opinion.)

Tags
actuarial, analyst, fsa, health, track