Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:21 AM
SOA

Default New mom and FSA exams

Hi! I just got my ASA and I am expecting my first child this year. I am trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to get my FSA. I was able to get through the prelims without failing an exam, but I had plenty of time to study. What have others experienced being a parent and also taking exams? Were you able to balance everything?

At my work, getting an FSA is encouraged but not required. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 AM
CAS SOA

0. FSA may not seem important now, and at your current job, but that likely won't hold forever (unless you are satisfied with an analyst-type role forever, or are planning to be a SAHM eventually).

1. It doesn't get easier if you wait.

2. With different priorities, come trade-offs. You may have to resign yourself to spreading your studying out over a longer period, or failing an exam or two. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 PM

I got my ASA about 2 weeks before my first child was born. Never had another fail after that b/c the stakes were so much higher. Attended the FAC shortly after her 2nd birthday. Don't wait. It does not get easier.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:10 PM
CAS

n+=1 for it doesn't get easier.

I am not a mom but I am a dad of a 3 year old. My studying has to be much more well planned than my peers and really puts extra pressure on.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:31 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl815 View Post
Hi! I just got my ASA and I am expecting my first child this year. I am trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to get my FSA. I was able to get through the prelims without failing an exam, but I had plenty of time to study. What have others experienced being a parent and also taking exams? Were you able to balance everything?

At my work, getting an FSA is encouraged but not required. Any advice would be appreciated!
I think you are subconsciously looking for excuses to become a career ASA, don't be ashamed, we are all lazy, naturally.

I think you should take advantage of the maternity leave and get your first fellowship exam out of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micaelagb View Post
I had baby#3 between Course 6 and Course 5. She was born 4 days after (passing!) C6 results came out. So I was pretty pg in May (I've taken exams 8.5 mos pg. and 7 mos pg. It's not a big deal, I don't think. Passed both times.) I had plenty of time to study for C5 after the baby was born (maternity leave! And I had 2 other little ones to look after) and passed that in Nov.

Passing pregnant is definately easier than passing w/ kids (or additional kids, as the case may be).
Old 03-07-2018, 02:42 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl815 View Post

How could you do something as reckless as taking exams while pregnant?! Do you not know about the devastation that kids experience from FAS - Fetal Actuarial Syndrome?! How could you doom your child to a lifetime of premium calculation, capital allocation and staring at their own shoes?! MONSTER!!!

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 03-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I think you should take advantage of the maternity leave and get your first fellowship exam out of the way!
As a mom who planned to do this, I beg you DO NOT count on being able to knock out a fellowship exam during your maternity leave. I thought I would. I thought, babies sleep a lot, right? I can study while baby sleeps. Ha. The physical toll that a difficult labor and delivery and postpartum period took on me were absolutely light years beyond what my na´ve pregnant self ever imagined they would be. I ended up taking that sitting off. So I did skip a sitting, but once I picked it back up I never failed another exam.

P.S. Men, please don't be the guy who acts like maternity leave is a 6-12 week vacation. It's not.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:55 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
Curious - have you ever participated in parental leave?

I ask not to be condescending, but I hadn't. Both my wife and I had impressive lists of things that we were going to get done during our leaves (which we staggered). By the end of my leave, I considered a day to be a success if I had showered and shaved that day.

Use the parental leave to spend time with your baby. Babies are awesome, and they're a lot of work if you're doing it right. Focus on doing that thing well, not on doing two (or more) things poorly.

EDIT: what she said above.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 03-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:54 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

I don't think OP needs more people to tell her that there is no need to aim for the moon, as she wasn't aiming for the moon to begin with, as indicated by the "At my work, getting an FSA is encouraged but not required" comment.

Please don't use this thread as an opportunity to show how much sacrifice you had to make to have children.

Tags
exams, fsa, mom, parent