Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 09-02-2019, 03:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eringobragh View Post
wait until 6, especially if you have limited/no exposure to opinions/annual statement stuff
I took exam 6 and passed on the first try. Although it was a lot, but not much depth to it. Also you can get a partial credit.
For MAS I, a) you really need to understand the material. b) you don't get a partial credit; multiple choice with answers as ranges.
I failed MAS I twice. This is going to be my third.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterRobert View Post
I was going through Mahler and made flashcards for the ridiculous autocovariance and autocorrelation formulas for ARMA(1, 1) models.
Then I took a look at past exams to see the previous questions asked on these models and realized it's probably not going to come up haha. That's a relief.
The past two sittings of MAS I (especially Spring 19) had lots of obscure topics.
For example, Decomposition has never been asked before.
One of the life contingency questions was obscure. Same with Markov Chain.
Past exams are no longer indicative of future exams for MAS I, unlike the other exams.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:07 PM
CAS

College: Georgia State University, Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPainNoGain View Post
I took exam 6 and passed on the first try. Although it was a lot, but not much depth to it. Also you can get a partial credit.
For MAS I, a) you really need to understand the material. b) you don't get a partial credit; multiple choice with answers as ranges.
I failed MAS I twice. This is going to be my third.
Yeah, I'm not feeling that great about my chances but I'm still going to keep pushing forward.

I wish I had bought Mahler's manual to begin with, then maybe I'd be in a better position than I am now. As it is, I've only just recently finished reading through the manual and now I'm trying to go back and drill things in with the practice problems. I've been persistent enough (and lucky enough?) to pass P, FM, MFE and 5 all on my first attempts. It's gonna suck if MAS-I is the one to kill my streak, but with the timeline I'm on I just don't see how I can be fully prepared in the same way I was for everything before.

Ultimately I'm hoping that by first focusing on the main concepts and drilling those in, then focusing on some of the more obscure stuff, I can retain enough to pass.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:43 AM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM pg. 331
In the computation of the distribution function estimate, we did not follow the normal distribution rounding rules used on the exam...."
Jeez, I don't even know what the normal distribution rounding rules are for the exam. I looked in the tables, but didn't see a mention of them. Is it just that you round your z-value to the nearest hundredth before looking it up?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tse pg. 304
Example 11.1 A sample of losses has the following ten observations:
2, 4, 5, 8, 8, 9, 11, 12, 12, 16

Determine the [75th percentile].
I did this and came up with 12. Tse comes up with 11.625. Are both answers correct? Is mine incorrect?
Old 09-03-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disreputable Dog View Post
I did this and came up with 12. Tse comes up with 11.625. Are both answers correct? Is mine incorrect?
"Determine the [75th percentile]"

75th percentile of what? You paraphrased (apparently); what was the exact question?

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

"I understand health care now especially very well."
Old 09-03-2019, 09:52 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Jeez, I don't even know what the normal distribution rounding rules are for the exam. I looked in the tables, but didn't see a mention of them. Is it just that you round your z-value to the nearest hundredth before looking it up?

Read the "Tables" section in the introduction of the ASM manual. Or if you wish, download an old MAS-I exam and read the second bullet of item #4 of the exam instructions. A little weird that they don't put this paragraph in the tables (as the SOA does).
Old 09-03-2019, 09:58 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
The question asks for the smoothed empirical percentile, and that is 11.625 - read the textbook to see how smoothed empirical percentile is defined. 12 is the 75th percentile of the empirical distribution, but not the 75th smoothed empirical percentile.

Last edited by Abraham Weishaus; 09-04-2019 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Not in ASM manual
Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
Read the "Tables" section in the introduction of the ASM manual. Or if you wish, download an old MAS-I exam and read the second bullet of item #4 of the exam instructions. A little weird that they don't put this paragraph in the tables (as the SOA does).
Why would that be weird? The tables are mathematical tables. The exam instructions explain how the exam will be scored --- those pertain to the exam, not the tables themselves.

Looks to me like the SOA's method is weird.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

"I understand health care now especially very well."
Old 09-04-2019, 05:47 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
The question asks for the smoothed empirical percentile, and that is 11.625 - read the textbook to see how smoothed empirical percentile is defined. 12 is the 75th percentile of the empirical distribution, but not the 75th smoothed empirical percentile.
This smoothing method, from Tse's textbook, is slightly different from the one in Loss Models (and described in the ASM manual). Since MAS-I is purely based on Tse and not Loss Models, I will post something in the errata list regarding Tse's method.