Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-11-2019, 04:19 PM
SOA

Studying for DP

Worst ones I've dealt with since it seems like the recruiters are starting to focus on most recent ASA lists:
  • Recruiter that uses a private number to call me and doesn't actually give me the right number to call them back with. Had to manually find their website so I could block their number
  • Recruiter that said they got my info from a previous colleague and that my experience was a perfect fit for a new role. I asked them what about my experience was perfect and they said my reinsurance background. I've never worked in reinsurance.
  • Recruiters that try to reach out to sell me on pensions after I jumped ship and never want to return to it
Old 12-11-2019, 06:10 PM
CAS

Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Wine

Iíve gotten a handful of voicemails from the same recruiter, spaced a couple months apart, always synced up with a LinkedIn message. Iíve never accepted the LinkedIn request or responded to the voicemails / messages. I find it extremely rude and distasteful that she still keeps calling, but thereís nothing really to be done about it.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:03 PM
CAS

Only concern with voicemails at work is if you're one of those guys who listens to voicemails on speaker. don't be one of those guys.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
Only concern with voicemails at work is if you're one of those guys who listens to voicemails on speaker. don't be one of those guys.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:08 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

please don't call me at 8:00 AM on a weekend about some amazing opportunity thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:10 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialgenes View Post
Iíve gotten a handful of voicemails from the same recruiter, spaced a couple months apart, always synced up with a LinkedIn message. Iíve never accepted the LinkedIn request or responded to the voicemails / messages. I find it extremely rude and distasteful that she still keeps calling, but thereís nothing really to be done about it.
restraining order imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:25 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialgenes View Post
Respond on LinkedIn that you are not interested and to please remove your contact
Old 12-16-2019, 12:48 AM
CAS

Studying for Raises
College: Roll Tide

I've been getting emails about health jobs from a recruiter for the last year and a half. I asked him last year and again this summer to please stop emailing me, because I'm taking CAS exams and intend to continue to do so, also I'm not interested in moving to Texas and somehow he only has jobs in Austin. And then he acted offended when I asked him for a third time to please, for the love of all things holy, stop emailing me.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Another thread on bad recruiters
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=345271
Old 12-18-2019, 11:22 AM

just got an email for a "one-of-a-kind Chief Actuary!" role. In a place I would never live, in a field I've never worked in, but that's ok, they're just spamming everybody - "Please help me by simply forwarding this email to others or reply back with a few suggestions of who we should reach out to."

I don't know who this company is, but similar to the thread I just linked to, I sometimes wonder if companies realize how unprofessional they look based on the recruiters that they use (I'm assuming it's a retained search, the email implies that but doesn't explicitly state it).

At least the email starts with an appropriate salutation of "Hello Allen" as opposed to the more common "Hello human"