Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 10-26-2019, 08:55 PM
SOA

Default How many interviews before you landed your first job?

I'm asking both in terms of phone interviews and onsite interviews.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:41 PM
CAS

As in got an offer or accepted an offer?

To get first offer: 3 phone, 3 onsite
To get offer I accepted: 5 phone, 4 onsite

Wanted to add: took me a while to get those interviews when I started about 3-6 months.

Last edited by Anxiousele; 10-26-2019 at 09:45 PM..
Old 10-26-2019, 09:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiousele View Post
As in got an offer or accepted an offer?

To get first offer: 3 phone, 3 onsite
To get offer I accepted: 5 phone, 4 onsite

Wanted to add: took me a while to get those interviews when I started about 3-6 months.
I meant get an offer, not accept.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:21 PM

There's at least one other category, on-campus. To me, that's the equivalent of a phone interview - both are relatively short and represent the company's first chance to look at somebody.

I can barely guess what my number was. A couple dozen campus/phone? At least, maybe more? On-site was more than 10, hard to say. I was awful at interviewing, which is part of why I find people who are bad at interviewing today so frustrating. You can literally find all the info you need on interviewing with a google search (or from my sig line if you're not familiar with google) and many people can't be bothered, which is kinda sad tbh. I had none of that available and just floundered around doing horrible in interviews, wishing I had resources available that were anywhere close to what is freely available today.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:38 AM
CAS

Studying for Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrm57 View Post
I'm asking both in terms of phone interviews and onsite interviews.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:00 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

1, although I got 7 rejections during the time it took me to hear back from the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:21 AM
CAS SOA

I think it was 3.

One was just weird (Indian guy in Consulting Big 4 with no sense of humour), another one with a smaller carrier (I felt that I was not a good fit during the interview so disengaged), and the last one I really connected with the interviewer (good sense of humour), which is the one I ended up progressing.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:26 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
There's at least one other category, on-campus. To me, that's the equivalent of a phone interview - both are relatively short and represent the company's first chance to look at somebody.

I can barely guess what my number was. A couple dozen campus/phone? At least, maybe more? On-site was more than 10, hard to say. I was awful at interviewing, which is part of why I find people who are bad at interviewing today so frustrating. You can literally find all the info you need on interviewing with a google search (or from my sig line if you're not familiar with google) and many people can't be bothered, which is kinda sad tbh. I had none of that available and just floundered around doing horrible in interviews, wishing I had resources available that were anywhere close to what is freely available today.
I am not sure this is entirely fair.

Even with access to interviewing information and reviews, applying those things into your behaviors is very difficult for many socially awkward people (which describes many actuarial folks).

EL interviewing/hiring (even now) is quite amusing because it becomes pretty obvious that people are telling you canned responses/what you want to hear.

I find it better to interview as much as you can (and fail), as that will improve your skills much faster than simply reading up on interview skills.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
I am not sure this is entirely fair.

Even with access to interviewing information and reviews, applying those things into your behaviors is very difficult for many socially awkward people (which describes many actuarial folks).
Agree that socially awkward people have problems regardless of how much research they do. No judgment there IMO. But many people - whether socially awkward or not - haven't even done the actual research that they could easily do on the internet.

If I can quote an AO alumnus that is apparently no longer with us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Interviews come down to:

50% research:

a lot of the questions they will ask can in fact be prepared and rehearsed beforehand. There is no excuse for not doing this.

30% strategy

This part is what separates the people that are good at interviewing with those that are not. You need to visualize where the conversation might go and prepare stories and responses to if, and when the conversation goes there. If you do get the names of the people interviewing you, research them on Linkedin to find out their backgrounds. Once you do that, you need to figure out a way to develop a common interest when you interview with them.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to make an emotional connection with the interviewer. This will literally make or break the interview.

That last part - make an emotional connection which will make or break the interview - is tough for the socially awkward, but there's no excuse for not doing the rest. And many don't bother. And the first part - which that person claimed is 50% of it (doesn't really matter if that's accurate) - if you didn't do that, you're just kidding yourself when you pretend you're trying.

And again, there's so much info available that I would have killed to have access to, so I'm probably a bit irrational on this point, but I do think there's a link there to the effort people are willing to put into succeeding, which matters when I'm hiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
I find it better to interview as much as you can (and fail), as that will improve your skills much faster than simply reading up on interview skills.
Agree with this, but do the reading before that even happens, so you understand what's going on with the process.

When I was looking for EL, I did many interviews and failed (I had a great resume, so it was fairly easy to get an interview), and it didn't help because I didn't have the background to understand very basic information that is freely available now (and still ignored by many). Like, just understanding why companies ask the questions they do, the thought process of an interviewer, or differences between companies and what they're looking for - those three things would have given me a framework for understanding why they asked what they did and the answers they were looking for, which would have made the feedback loop (interview and fail) much more valuable. EL interviewing without that background info is like writing a five page essay asking for a job and then getting a response letter of the form "Dear applicant: No thanks. End Message. Sincerely, Company". Not helpful at all.

Just a guess, but I probably did 30-40 interview to get my first (woefully underpaid) job. If I could have just had the info that's available in the link in my sig line, that would have been 5 offers, minimum.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:17 PM
CAS

I just went back and tried to count. I'd forgotten about a few of the companies.

4 non-actuarial interviews, none of which led to in person interviews. (various financial/data related positions, but I think I struggled to convey a clear long-term interest in the career paths)

5 actuarial phone interviews (1 health, 3 P&C, 1 life). Actually 6 but I declined one since I decided I wasn't willing to move to that location.
I applied to many jobs, probably 50-100.

Of those 5 phone interviews, proceeded to in person interviews at 3 companies.

One offer.

(And with that company, it was one phone interview, and one on site interview, though I interviewed with many people in person.)