Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Sometimes the name alone attracts good candidates, so they don't have to worry as much about paying competitively. Even if there is turnover, there will be other candidates knocking.
This might work at EL. It will however backfire on the company if they keep pay progression lower as well via people gaining exams/experience. People at said company would simply jump ship to another company with better pay once they have enough experience, so you would see higher turnover for people with 3-5 years experience (which would be bad for the company).
Old 11-18-2019, 09:27 AM
CAS

Studying for Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Leaving an employer is rarely about pay only in my experience.

Usually its a bad boss, or work is not interesting. When those two things are off, your pay will then come much more into focus.

Also, the reason you dont say its just about pay is because it is too mercenary. People tend to not like that in a potential employee.

If pay is only ok but otherwise the job is great, the vast majority of people won't jump ship.

That being said, I don't think it's a topic you should avoid, it just shouldn't be your only answer.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Hawaii2019 View Post

If pay is only ok but otherwise the job is great, the vast majority of people won't jump ship.

That being said, I don't think it's a topic you should avoid, it just shouldn't be your only answer.
+1

If an applicant is solely focused, or even too focused, on pay, then I wouldn't expect them to stay long, even if I offered them a job. There are always going to be other roles out there that pay more, and I don't want someone who is going to spend all their time looking for a further move. So you will have to be absolutely brilliant in some other way to even get an offer.

Most actuaries are well-paid. For me, an interesting job is more important than absolute level of pay.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:33 PM
SOA AAA

The short answer is, as it usually is when answering questions in an interview, HOW you reply is just as important as your reply.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 11-18-2019, 06:08 PM

Favorite beer: Budweiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
+1

If an applicant is solely focused, or even too focused, on pay, then I wouldn't expect them to stay long, even if I offered them a job. There are always going to be other roles out there that pay more, and I don't want someone who is going to spend all their time looking for a further move. So you will have to be absolutely brilliant in some other way to even get an offer.

Most actuaries are well-paid. For me, an interesting job is more important than absolute level of pay.
I’d have a hard time taking a big pay cut, but would never leave a good job just for 10-50% more. Having worked for both great and horrible departments, I’ve really come to appreciate the benefits to ones’ mental health when they truly love their job. At a certain point, the utility of the job itself far exceeds the extra money one could make working in a stressful and/or miserable environment.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:01 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Mahoney View Post
Iíve really come to appreciate the benefits to onesí mental health when they truly love their job. At a certain point, the utility of the job itself far exceeds the extra money one could make working in a stressful and/or miserable environment.
let's start a train, train
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:17 PM
SOA AAA

Well, the amount of extra money would affect the decision. It might be that a person would take the job and additional stress for X, but the company will pay only 50%*X.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 11-18-2019, 09:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Yeah sorry size wasn't meant to mean anything in this context, although the way I presented it made it seem that way.
Size doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 11-18-2019, 10:06 PM
SOA

This has mostly been said here already in other forms, but here's my logic:

If you cite pay as the only reason, you're saying your company isn't willing to pay you what you think you are worth.

If money is the only reason that you are looking for a new job, then as an outsider I would assume you've discussed this with your current company and they have told you no.

If your current company doesn't think you're worth more money, why would a new company just take your word for it and pay you more than a competitor for the same work?
Old 11-19-2019, 11:25 AM
CAS

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Not beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Hawaii2019 View Post

Agreed. As long as the place isn't crap (read: the manager isn't a small-minded, task-driven micromanager who demands everyone be working productively 50/5 or more and frowns upon any kind of interpersonal chats and constantly belittles employees for alleged wrongs without providing constructive ways to improve, and dangles incentives only to pull them back a la the State Farm fisherman), I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm paid for is my loyalty. But if there's somewhere else that values loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Mahoney View Post
Iíd have a hard time taking a big pay cut, but would never leave a good job just for 10-50% more. Having worked for both great and horrible departments, Iíve really come to appreciate the benefits to onesí mental health when they truly love their job. At a certain point, the utility of the job itself far exceeds the extra money one could make working in a stressful and/or miserable environment.
This. Always be careful making a jump; it's not difficult to jump for what you think is better pay and/or a better situation and end up in a worse spot and now you're trying to figure out how to get out of that situation quickly and gracefully while improving your overall position.