Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:49 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: 805
Default On-site interview this week for entry level

So, I had a phone interview with HR that went well and now I am going to an on-site interview this week. HR said they were particularly interested in the fact I am a career changer from teaching, so coming from experience with communication, leadership.

The interview is a 4+ hour meeting with the hiring manager, various departments, then lunch.

I really want this job; it is entry level and local.

If you were a participant in this meeting, what would you be looking for in me as a candidate? What could I do during such a meeting to impress the participants as to my suitability for the position?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

I think the main thing anyone would be looking at in a career changer is enthusiasm and dedication. It seems from your post that you are eager to make the change and want to, so just make sure that comes across.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:40 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkei18 View Post
I think the main thing anyone would be looking at in a career changer is enthusiasm and dedication. It seems from your post that you are eager to make the change and want to, so just make sure that comes across.
Yes, definitely do this. Coming from someone who was once a teacher and now an actuary, I can tell you that you have a lot to be eager about in switching careers, as actuarial is infinitely better.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:14 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Oxford University

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastla_student View Post
So, I had a phone interview with HR that went well and now I am going to an on-site interview this week. HR said they were particularly interested in the fact I am a career changer from teaching, so coming from experience with communication, leadership.

The interview is a 4+ hour meeting with the hiring manager, various departments, then lunch.

I really want this job; it is entry level and local.

If you were a participant in this meeting, what would you be looking for in me as a candidate? What could I do during such a meeting to impress the participants as to my suitability for the position?
Have been thinking of you and hope your on-site interviews went well? ...with all best wishes.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:03 PM
CAS

Sorry didn't see this til too late. Congrats on your on-site interview. Getting an interview means that you have impressed them enough with your skillset/background for them to go to the further effort of an onsite and even if this one doesn't pan out, you should get other bites.

You probably have already realized this from your previous career, but onsite interviews are a valuable experience and even at EL there is also an aspect of you interviewing the company. Both you and the company are looking for the best match so if you land the job after just being yourself (and they are being themselves) that's ideal. If you're not being yourself and they are impressed enough with the not-real you to hire you, then you will have to consistently put on that false self and waste a lot of unnecessary energy so that they will not become disappointed. Bit like dating really.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:50 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: 805

Thank you everyone for your consideration.

I believe the interview went very well. I tried to get across what I could add to their dept. with my background and my openness to learning new skills. I also thought a good strategy was to ask each person I interviewed with (assuming there was time) what they thought I could improve on (skills/experience/presentation). That seemed to create a positive reaction.

They said there were more candidates to interview with no final decision until mid-Dec.

Here's a question: how many candidates would your company bring in for in-person interviews for an entry level job? 10, 20, 30, 50? I have no perspective on this.

I emailed the recruiter about it and he jokingly said 40,000.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastla_student View Post
I emailed the recruiter about it and he jokingly said 40,000.
market is saturated
Old 11-24-2019, 06:40 AM

If I were still in a recruiting role in a small-medium company, then for a single entry level job it would be something like:
- shortlist about 10 resumes (that have already cleared an HR screening);
- try to get the best 5 in for interview, ideally over no more than 2 days;
- if (unusually) none of those work out, get the next 5 in;
It would be rare not to find at least one or two good candidates from 10.

It didn't always work out, because it is a two-way process: candidates sometimes had other offers prior to interview, or declined offers we made, etc.

Large organisations, recruiting for multiple positions at the same time, often get many more people in simultaneously for interviews / assessment days.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:25 AM
SOA

College: FSU

Good luck!