Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:52 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
as an aside, final reviews for a division sometimes end up on a curve. Not everyone should be a five even if all great.

The higher rating you give him (if unjustified) could actually hurt you

and I would hope the actual write up would matter more than your arbitrary score
What's a five, and what do you mean by curves and scores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:45 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
What's a five, and what do you mean by curves and scores?
five is what I am assuming was a top rating

and by curve I know of Execs who will not accept all employees being high ranked and insist on a curve to the median. Which makes no sense as the 1s and even 2s should not be long employed
Old 12-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
and by curve I know of Execs who will not accept all employees being high ranked and insist on a curve to the median. Which makes no sense as the 1s and even 2s should not be long employed
This usually comes from the old GE model of rank and yank - basically the view was that, it doesn't matter how good your people are, you should be getting rid of the worst of them. I think it actually makes sense in some contexts, but not in actuarial or most corporate roles.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:56 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
five is what I am assuming was a top rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
This usually comes from the old GE model of rank and yank - basically the view was that, it doesn't matter how good your people are, you should be getting rid of the worst of them. I think it actually makes sense in some contexts, but not in actuarial or most corporate roles.
Yeah I think I read about that somewhere, where really big companies like Enron would rank their employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Yeah I think I read about that somewhere, where really big companies like Enron would rank their employees.
Pretty much every company I've ever worked for or heard of ranks their employees.

How the rankings work and how they are used are very different by company of course.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

To answer the OP:

I would give constructive feedback . . . both formally and informally. Give the negatives to the supervisor directly so they're aware of how to interpret the more "PC" formal feedback.

And I would imagine that the supervisor appreciates having more evidence of the need for "intervention" in getting the process.

As for the rating, you do no one any favors by factoring in elements that are outside of your purview in giving the rating. The results of Project B are 1/5 (or make it more emphatic with a 0/5). You're giving feedback on *your* interactions, not your assessment of the employee overall (this latter is the job of the supervisor, don't do their job for them).

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 12-09-2019, 10:21 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Curmudgeon's Better 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
I quickly realize that he just sent me back the same query I sent him a couple weeks earlier, and it would not be much help.
Ha
Old 12-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
It's a terrible idea when applied across the board. It would say that if there are only 10 people in the world who can do a job, and you employ all of them, you should still get rid of one of them. It ignores the cost of hiring a new individual, the uncertainty of the quality of said new individual, and the disruption to the remaining workers.

I would be very interested to know if GE, or any other company that follows this approach, dismissed the worst 10% of its board members annually.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
It's a terrible idea when applied across the board. It would say that if there are only 10 people in the world who can do a job, and you employ all of them, you should still get rid of one of them. It ignores the cost of hiring a new individual, the uncertainty of the quality of said new individual, and the disruption to the remaining workers.

I would be very interested to know if GE, or any other company that follows this approach, dismissed the worst 10% of its board members annually.

Layoffs don't affect the executive class, they affect the people they see as disposable resources below them. Remember, if they actually cared about the people, they would take a cut out of their bonus, not let people go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 12-09-2019, 05:17 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

I brought it up with my manager. Said something like "There was project B where he didn't really do anything and I haven't really worked with him much besides that this year" I mentioned the point about him actually adding negative value because if he wasn't there I would have known I had both projects.

"Well you could put something about improving time management on projects" "The ratings go to HR, but the comments don't unless I include them." I was thinking she is just giving me the PC answer and I'm still not going to know WTF to do.

Then she said "Ya that's kind of been a common theme with him on a lot of projects" and "I'm gonna have to have a tough conversation". So it sounds like the overall review will be bad regardless, and my feedback will only help.

When we started this guy told me he got to the point in his last (internal) job where he could do it in his sleep. In this role I've literally seen him asleep at the desk regularly(at least once to the point of snoring)