Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: NYU
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Lol, hopefully the exam is like the TIA practice exams because I just put up a 72 on the second one.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:57 AM
CAS

College: University of Illinois Champaign Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebelladona View Post
Funny enough I actually feel the opposite way. I think Lee's exams are a good challenge, but I've noticed that the questions he writes himself tend to test more obscure topics and the exam overall includes alot more computation-heavy problems than the real sittings I've used for practice.

I'll have to go back and check, but I think at one point he included a question on a topic that's no longer on the syllabus.

Though like I said, still a good challenge and worth taking in order to push your limits.
I think it will really depend how they feel in terms of how computation heavy they want to make it. Take the one of the last questions on the spring 2019 sitting, which was on forecasting. When I saw it the last sitting I thought I must be doing something wrong but if you have TIA, you can see the solution manually goes through each of the iterations to get to the final answer.

I'm hoping this sitting will be more fair than the spring sitting; I felt the difficulty was higher than expected (the pass rates for that sitting was less than 6 if I remember correctly, which is nuts).
OC: OC1 OC2
Old 10-18-2019, 02:10 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UIUCAS View Post
I think it will really depend how they feel in terms of how computation heavy they want to make it. Take the one of the last questions on the spring 2019 sitting, which was on forecasting. When I saw it the last sitting I thought I must be doing something wrong but if you have TIA, you can see the solution manually goes through each of the iterations to get to the final answer.

I'm hoping this sitting will be more fair than the spring sitting; I felt the difficulty was higher than expected (the pass rates for that sitting was less than 6 if I remember correctly, which is nuts).
There's always a few questions that are "computationally heavy." LOL that forecasting question... I think I wrote in my exam booklet "are they actually serious" before I started working it out.

Also, I'm pretty sure this exam has had the lowest back to back pass rate since like 1990, if not ever. I don't think they're going to make it any easier though. Everybody can agree that the exam is passable. Just takes solid prep and a good exam day. Good luck everyone. (Study up on smoothing splines, I heard through the grapevine that it's showing up this time.)
Old 10-18-2019, 12:03 PM
CAS

College: Georgia State University, Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 Actuarial Exams View Post
There's always a few questions that are "computationally heavy." LOL that forecasting question... I think I wrote in my exam booklet "are they actually serious" before I started working it out.

Also, I'm pretty sure this exam has had the lowest back to back pass rate since like 1990, if not ever. I don't think they're going to make it any easier though. Everybody can agree that the exam is passable. Just takes solid prep and a good exam day. Good luck everyone. (Study up on smoothing splines, I heard through the grapevine that it's showing up this time.)
That's the plan; On PTO leading up to exam day so I'm hoping I can hammer in some more obscure topics and review everything.

I've certainly spent less time studying for MAS-1 than I did 5, but if this sitting is anywhere on the difficulty range of the last three sittings I think I should be able to pull out okay. I've managed to pass everything before this on my first attempt so I have some decent motivation to keep that going.

Also, regarding that forecasting problem: I don't know if this is the intended solution, but Mahler rewrote the problem in terms of the "long-term limit", replacing all of the X values at every lag with a Y variable and then solving for it.

He got Y=16, the value the series moves towards in the long run, and the forecast is out 10 years, he picked the answer choice that was higher than but close to 16.

Again, no clue if that's actually what the CAS intended for people to do or not, but at least there is technically an easy way to do that problem quickly.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:40 PM
CAS SOA

College: Waterloo

Just finished the Fall 2018 exam, was surprised at how much easier it was than Spring 2019 - anyone else felt the same?
Old 10-19-2019, 06:15 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan1236 View Post
Just finished the Fall 2018 exam, was surprised at how much easier it was than Spring 2019 - anyone else felt the same?
People had mixed feelings, but I thought Spring 2019 was the toughest by far.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:13 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan1236 View Post
I agree. Also looking at 75th and 95th percentile, you can see spring exam was harder.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:51 AM
CAS

The Spring 2018 seemed a lot easier in comparison to the other two sittings
Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 AM
CAS

College: Georgia State University, Alumni

Best of luck to everyone.

I feel like I've prepared as best I possibly can and have a pretty good shot at getting a pass thanks to Mahler. Gonna do a bit of review today and then try to unwind a bit.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:32 AM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
College: University of Texas at Austin
Favorite beer: Karbach Blood Orange Radler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebelladona View Post
Best of luck to everyone.

I feel like I've prepared as best I possibly can and have a pretty good shot at getting a pass thanks to Mahler. Gonna do a bit of review today and then try to unwind a bit.
I feel the same. I also feel like Anki helped me retain a lot of the formulas and concepts that I learned at the beginning of my studying and I didn't have to spend as much time relearning it after months of studying the other concepts. I'm going to spend today doing the TIA review videos over sections I feel I need the most work on. Best of luck!

Last edited by SinisterRobert; 10-23-2019 at 10:36 AM..