Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Pizza.

Chess club here does that too.
Are you a member of the chess club?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

I've shown up like three times total in 4 years.

My rating on Yahoo was between 1700 and 1850 when I was in middle school. I'm garbage now. I doubt I'd even be 1650.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 PM
CAS

Studying for 3ST
College: Northern Illinois Univiersity, Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
Treasurer of chess club? What do you guys spend money on?
The club has been growing so new boards and clocks. Also we were setting up a team to compete in tournaments; so travel costs. One idea was having a master come in to teach or play a simul as well.

My school has a student association where you can apply for funding so it was my job to present everything to the association.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

user-friendly should be hyphenated, but you should just get rid of it anyway. Is there a bigger picture you can focus on? Your system replaced something. How is it better?

The second bullet sounds inside-out. The "in" at the end seems vestigial. How do pivot tables automate the workbook? Again, I'd try to keep the focus on the bigger picture and not worry about pivot tables.

The 2nd Q bullet doesn't start with a verb. "generic" is a word that shouldn't appear in your resume. And you're much better off with only the first bullet. The second bullet knocks you down from a job that you first think might be more related to the "supervisor" part, and makes you just stockroom boy. The title is somewhat funny, as it reminds me of Dwight Schrute's "Assistant to the Regional Manager" title, but if that's what you were, that's OK.

Is there any additional worthwhile info on LinkedIn? If not, I'd not bother listing it.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM
CAS

Studying for 3ST

Thank you everyone for the input. I have incorporated many of your suggestions and attached the updated versions. If anyone would like to further input it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by carv; 12-01-2013 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Removed Attachments
Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM

hey cool, nice resume btw.

I just have a curious question, it seems on your resume you have 6 software skills, so these are the skills you must have that will make you competitive?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM
CAS

Studying for 3ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
hey cool, nice resume btw.

I just have a curious question, it seems on your resume you have 6 software skills, so these are the skills you must have that will make you competitive?
While the skills I have make me a bit competitive (hopefully) I would venture to say learning a lot about SAS and maybe C# or Java with SQL experience is way better on a resume. If you still have free time to learn skills I would put some emphasis on those (excel/access/vba is easy in comparison).

However don't learn skills at the expensive of hurting your GPA because that is a downfall I have and you won't want. I had a friend get hired out of college with one exam, no internships, and no computer skills really, but he did have a gpa of 3.7 or higher.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carv View Post
While the skills I have make me a bit competitive (hopefully) I would venture to say learning a lot about SAS and maybe C# or Java with SQL experience is way better on a resume. If you still have free time to learn skills I would put some emphasis on those (excel/access/vba is easy in comparison).

However don't learn skills at the expensive of hurting your GPA because that is a downfall I have and you won't want. I had a friend get hired out of college with one exam, no internships, and no computer skills really, but he did have a gpa of 3.7 or higher.
thats cool.

I am out of school now, i just got my own laptop, how do i get to learn SAS or C or SQL tho?

Tags
cover letter, critique