Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-04-2014, 06:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Kade View Post
Whaddaya mean? That's what happens MOST of the time. The masters is the consolation prize for failing to complete your dissertation.
This isn't necessarily the case in Engineering disciplines. A lot of programs have BS/MS programs that take 5 years and you do an MS attached to your BS for additional classes/research/projects.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM

Studying for my SAG card
Favorite beer: whatever other folks are buying

That is correct, but the question wasn't about an MS in that situation. The question was about applying to a PhD program and dropping out with a masters.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 PM
CAS

Quote:
That is correct, but the question wasn't about an MS in that situation. The question was about applying to a PhD program and dropping out with a masters.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbi51 View Post
I'll be graduating from a university this spring with a BS in actuarial science with minors in computer science and business. This all sounded great to me until I've realized that I might not want to become an actuary. I've passed exam p/1, if that means anything.

Any advice from those who are working in related fields as to what I could possibly do with this degree if I do not want to pursue a career as an actuary?
Last time I looked, McDonalds was hiring.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:23 PM
SOA

Studying for GI Intro to Ratemaking
Favorite beer: Game Day

Probably not for long once they hit $15 per hour.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
Probably not for long once they hit $15 per hour.
People will be lining up.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars19 View Post
People will be lining up.
At the ordering kiosk and the food delivery chute.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
At the ordering kiosk and the food delivery chute.
flashchat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Whaddaya mean? That's what happens MOST of the time. The masters is the consolation prize for failing to complete your dissertation.
Excuse my ignorance. I have a question. It's my understanding that most PhD programs are fully funded through some sort of research/TA/whatever. So, if you were to get accepted into one of these programs, received the full funding, and then dropped out before PhD, you can get an essentially free Masters? I know you're technically working for the funding, but I don't think this type of funding is available to someone simply applying to a Masters' program. I'm sure it's much hard to get accepted into a PhD program than it is a Masters as well I suppose...but is that logic correct? PhD programs are so confusing to me...it just seems as if people come and go as they please at all different times.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars19 View Post
Excuse my ignorance. I have a question. It's my understanding that most PhD programs are fully funded through some sort of research/TA/whatever. So, if you were to get accepted into one of these programs, received the full funding, and then dropped out before PhD, you can get an essentially free Masters? I know you're technically working for the funding, but I don't think this type of funding is available to someone simply applying to a Masters' program. I'm sure it's much hard to get accepted into a PhD program than it is a Masters as well I suppose...but is that logic correct? PhD programs are so confusing to me...it just seems as if people come and go as they please at all different times.
Not a problem, bring on the questions.

You are correct. I got paid a whopping $11,000 each year while getting my masters degree. And those were 1996 dollars. I worked as a TA, but it was nothing compared to the work I was doing in my classes. I'll let the philosophers decide if it was "free".

I'm not sure how to compare it to doing just a masters program, because in math, at a major research university, I don't think there is really is a masters program. I'm sure technically there is such a thing, but really, either you come in as a grad student with full funding or you don't come in at all.

I wouldn't suggest anyone go to math grad school with the goal of leaving after getting a masters, it's too much work to half-ass it. But I certainly wouldn't tell anybody to pay for a masters in math.

For something like engineering or computer science, I think a masters program is much more common. But for those, especially for CS, I bet there are lots of TA opportunities (the PhD students don't want to work in a computer lab) so I'd bet you could do that without paying for it if you looked hard enough.

In general, don't pay for any graduate degree unless it is supposed to get you a big paycheck at the end: Law, medicine or MBA. (What? Why are you laughing?)

Tags
career, college, degree, rhinoplasty, student, university