Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 06-23-2019, 01:44 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

I've only watched a couple of videos on life contingencies from TIA so far, but two small things popped up that I don't believe Struppeck or ASM mentioned:

1. the recursion formula for curtate life expectancy: ex = px(1+ex+1), and

2. the variance of curtate future lifetime, based on: E[(Kx)^2] = Ʃ [k^2 * dx+k / lx] = Ʃ [(2k-1) * kpx]

Supposedly the formula for variance of future life using the second moment is something we try to avoid, but it seems like a question with machine failure where life doesn't ever extend beyond 4ish years might not be too bad.

Both of these items seemed interesting.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:19 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disreputable Dog View Post
I've only watched a couple of videos on life contingencies from TIA so far, but two small things popped up that I don't believe Struppeck or ASM mentioned:

1. the recursion formula for curtate life expectancy: ex = px(1+ex+1), and

2. the variance of curtate future lifetime, based on: E[(Kx)^2] = Ʃ [k^2 * dx+k / lx] = Ʃ [(2k-1) * kpx]

Supposedly the formula for variance of future life using the second moment is something we try to avoid, but it seems like a question with machine failure where life doesn't ever extend beyond 4ish years might not be too bad.
For such a short question (4 years), the recursive formula doesn't save you much work. And while the CAS occasionally asks off-syllabus questions, I doubt they would ever ask a question on variance of future lifetime, at topic not mentioned by Struppeck at all, so at most they'd expect students to work it out from first principles (not from the formula you cite). So while the formulas are interesting, they're not important for MAS-I.

Even the SOA on its LTAM is de-emphasizing life expectancy. Actuaries price and reserve products; they are rarely involved in telling people how long they are expected to live.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:51 AM

How far along are you all?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:54 PM
CAS

College: Georgia State University, Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pimp Named Slickback View Post
How far along are you all?
Haven't even gotten manager approval to buy my study materials yet (going TIA since they got me thru 5). First attempt.
Basically just read the Poisson Process study note.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:07 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: NYU
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

I'm retaking MAS-1 for attempt #4 in the fall. I'll start studying in about a month though.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 Actuarial Exams View Post
I'm retaking MAS-1 for attempt #4 in the fall. I'll start studying in about a month though.
What's the biggest challenge for you in the exam? I'm going to try my first at this one and STAM. I don't have an actuarial job yet and I'm opening maybe someone will hire me once I get exam four under my belt.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: NYU
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pimp Named Slickback View Post
What's the biggest challenge for you in the exam? I'm going to try my first at this one and STAM. I don't have an actuarial job yet and I'm opening maybe someone will hire me once I get exam four under my belt.
The biggest challenge for me, given my last attempt, is dealing with the exam questions on exam day. I failed by one point and thought I knew the material pretty well, but the exam was insanely difficult in my opinion.

I would be careful passing too many exams before you have any experience. Employers don't like that. I don't know what your background is, but I would potentially hold off on exams and keep grinding the process of finding an entry-level position. I think three exams on the resume with an internship is the sweet spot.

Last edited by I <3 Actuarial Exams; 06-26-2019 at 08:17 PM..
Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 Actuarial Exams View Post
The biggest challenge for me, given my last attempt, is dealing with the exam questions on exam day. I failed by one point and thought I new the material pretty well, but the exam was insanely difficult in my opinion.

I would be careful passing too many exams before you have any experience. Employers don't like that. I don't know what your background is, but I would potentially hold off on exams and keep grinding the process of finding an entry-level position. I think three exams on the resume with an internship is the sweet spot.
This is it 100%. None of the available study resources do a good job at offering sample questions that are representative of the real exam. TIA is by far the worst in this respect, but ADAPT isn’t much better. Making me study so many MLC-style life contingencies questions instead of giving me annuities questions based on the study note lost me easy points two sittings in a row.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:41 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToAjit View Post
This is it 100%. None of the available study resources do a good job at offering sample questions that are representative of the real exam. TIA is by far the worst in this respect, but ADAPT isnít much better. Making me study so many MLC-style life contingencies questions instead of giving me annuities questions based on the study note lost me easy points two sittings in a row.
FWIW, I haven't taken the exam yet, but have been peeking at past exams as I move through the sections. At least up through life contingencies, I've felt that ASM has done pretty well with tracking with source content and providing questions that don't feel recycled from MLC exams. The little I've seen of TIA so far has definitely felt like an evolution from MLC at times, but I haven't gotten that vibe from ASM.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disreputable Dog View Post
FWIW, I haven't taken the exam yet, but have been peeking at past exams as I move through the sections. At least up through life contingencies, I've felt that ASM has done pretty well with tracking with source content and providing questions that don't feel recycled from MLC exams. The little I've seen of TIA so far has definitely felt like an evolution from MLC at times, but I haven't gotten that vibe from ASM.
Thanks, and noted. I can assure you that TIA is useless for that section. Their formula sheet for Life Contingencies is ridiculous. It’s simply a throwaway from MLC, and the instructor refuses to change these—and other—sections.

Last edited by SwimToAjit; 06-26-2019 at 06:32 PM..