Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 PM
SOA

Default Fall 2019 Progress Thread

Let's get that bread together! Going to buy all the study material this weekend.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Studying for FAP
College: University of Toronto

Just failed - so I will be here
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo alumni

Can anyone help me with something? I am having a difficult time understanding the D-M and B-K methods when I was reading the "Term Mortality and Lapse" online reading. It's for my preparation for LPM exam this Fall.

Please, SOS! SOS!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:55 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby1206 View Post
Can anyone help me with something? I am having a difficult time understanding the D-M and B-K methods when I was reading the "Term Mortality and Lapse" online reading. It's for my preparation for LPM exam this Fall.

Please, SOS! SOS!
I'm not scheduled to be there for another 9 days!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM
SOA

I'm in, y'all!
Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 AM
SOA

Quote:

Please, SOS! SOS!
I just read this now and it seems like they are both using the conservation of death to calculate the persister mortality. The difference is that B-K is just the same as D-M but with the extra factor F(t).

Since B-K is just the same algorithm as D-M, you only really need to know how D-M works.
1. For excess lapsers, calculate the aggregate difference in mortality between point-in-scale and fully select rates.
2. Distribute this aggregate amount over the persisters
Old 08-10-2019, 01:41 PM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba

Quote:

Please, SOS! SOS!
Try asking your question here and hope we can get some good discussion going amongst the students in the Fellowship Forums community. We have dedicated threads for each reading for questions just like this.

https://www.fellowshipforums.com/t/t...nd-lapses/1804

Please come introduce yourselves as well on our Exam Progress Thread for ILA PM:
https://www.fellowshipforums.com/t/i...ss-thread/2395

A structured forum to connect actuarial students together to collaborate and challenge syllabus concepts on FSA exams.

Last edited by aaron_yanofsky; 08-10-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Old 08-27-2019, 10:42 AM
SOA

Studying for Life Product Management
Favorite beer: Root Beer

Does anyone who failed the prior sitting feel a bit pressed for time to review all older material AND learn the new stuff on the syllabus?

I started studying again mid-July and barely even touched on much of the new material, aside from the new stuff that is sprinkled in with the older stuff. I'm starting to feel like I won't even have time to learn, review, and retain all of the new stuff in time, all while trying to review the old material, do flash cards, practice problems, etc.

As much as I don't want to, I'm thinking of skipping the source material and just going straight to the study manual and video lessons (using TIA). I hope this plus drilling flash cards and practice problems will be enough but can I really pull this off in only two months?

Is anyone else in the same boat?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:46 AM
SOA

College: Oklahoma State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundy View Post
Does anyone who failed the prior sitting feel a bit pressed for time to review all older material AND learn the new stuff on the syllabus?

I started studying again mid-July and barely even touched on much of the new material, aside from the new stuff that is sprinkled in with the older stuff. I'm starting to feel like I won't even have time to learn, review, and retain all of the new stuff in time, all while trying to review the old material, do flash cards, practice problems, etc.

As much as I don't want to, I'm thinking of skipping the source material and just going straight to the study manual and video lessons (using TIA). I hope this plus drilling flash cards and practice problems will be enough but can I really pull this off in only two months?

I am using TIA as well. Using the videos and detailed study manual. I have read a few of the articles but I only reference the study notes if I feel like I'm missing a connection or need a deeper understanding. I am on track to finish my first pass through of the material September 17th, leaving me a month to solidify and a couple weeks for practice exams/further review.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:50 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundy View Post

What's your normal study strategy? Source material first, then video lessons, then study manual+flash cards?