Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-07-2018, 10:34 AM
SOA AAA

IA>FA

2 ...(huge gap)... 3 1 6 7 4

I'd say EOM2 was 'harder' than the assessments, but the assessments were 3x as long so they were worse to do.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:49 AM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanlyGoodspeed View Post
IA>FA

2 ...(huge gap)... 3 1 6 7 4

I'd say EOM2 was 'harder' than the assessments, but the assessments were 3x as long so they were worse to do.
it was hard for me to rate 2 because i just viewed it as ridiculous and something i couldn't take seriously. seemed like a hazing ritual. it's like, you're early on in the modules and we gave you a softball for module 1, so now lets scare the crap out of you.
Spoiler:
Old 04-07-2018, 06:34 PM
SOA

College: West Chester University

IA > FA because not being able to talk about your suffering is very hard

2 because why, just why...

1 because you don't know what you're doing

3 > 7 > 6 > 4
Old 07-15-2018, 08:01 PM
SOA

Now that I finished modules, I'll provide my input from most to least difficult imo.

FA - I thought this by far was the most brutal due to the time constraint of having only 4 days. I'm really surprised I passed on my first try because I didn't feel good submitting.

IA - In terms of content, I thought this was more difficult than FA. Also, not being able to discuss with anyone made it really difficult. But given a 30 day timeline, I rank this slightly easier than FA but not by much.

3 - I thought this was really vague. Also, I had no knowledge on the topic presented (forgot what it was about). If I was familiar with the topic, then I'd rank this much lower.

2 - By far the most vague exercise of all the modules. Instructions were very unclear and confusing. I thought having the books somewhat helped though.

6 - It was confusing at first, but I didn't find this to be that bad once I stopped overthinking.

1 - Not too bad, but I can see it being ranked higher since it's the first exercise and people being unfamiliar on what to expect. But now that I look back, this was easier than most exercises.

7 - By then, I was familiar with how to do modules. Just make a claim and back it up. Regurgitate the control cycle, blah blah. My submission didn't match the solutions at all, but I still MMR'd on the first attempt.

4 - I thought this was really straightforward. Having the Segal book really helped, but I can see it being really difficult if someone doesn't have it.
ASA (September 2019)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:53 PM
SOA

Studying for PA, LTAM, FA (FAP)
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)
Favorite beer: I don't drink beer, but I love the Dos Equis commercials.

I've completed 1, 2, 3, 4, IA and have begun 6. I officially passed 1, 2 and 3 and am still waiting on 4 and IA.

IA had unclear directions and prompts and many items had multiple interpretations. I had no idea how SOA wanted a certain part of a question done. Another difficult question would have been VERY easy if it was written properly and didn't omit information. I ended up writing a half-page comment on why I did that question a certain way when it could have been done 234234 other ways. We have no idea how IA is graded and it costs $500 to retake. It took a ton of time, mostly spent on reading the same two questions over and over and over hoping clarification would emerge. By far the hardest part of FAP to this point.

EOM 1 was confusing at first. I read the assignment over and over and it eventually clicked. After that, all EOMs have been pretty straightforward. 1 is hardest b/c it is the first one.

EOM 2 is next hardest because it is stupid and you just make stuff up.

I felt like I got the most out of EOM 3. It was the least pointless. I like pension problems, but pensions are going away. MLC gave me a leg up on this exercise.

EOM 4 was easiest b/c the directions are the least unclear. Most time was spent changing my mind on the risk list. They want specific risks, but they want risks similar to the textbook's example list of very general risks. Then you write down your risks and realize many of them are in the textbook and thus need to be changed.

EOM 6 looks like the best assignment yet, but I am only beginning.

FAP is a great idea that is executed very poorly. And it is over $2000.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC

Last edited by NchooseK; 07-17-2018 at 06:58 PM..
Old 07-25-2018, 10:39 AM
SOA

Studying for everything

FA
IA
Old 08-16-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkunforgivin View Post
FA (took me 70+ hours)
Just wondering how does one work on FA for 70+ hrs.
That's like 18 hours a day

Not questioning if you cheated, rather just wondering if FA actually would require 70+ hours. Since that would be insane.

Last edited by kyotousa; 08-16-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Old 08-17-2018, 08:17 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA Module & Exam
Favorite beer: Summer Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post
Just wondering how does one work on FA for 70+ hrs.
That's like 18 hours a day

Not questioning if you cheated, rather just wondering if FA actually would require 70+ hours. Since that would be insane.
I think it all depends on your work, how you work, and your expertise on the topics being covered. I could see someone taking that amount of time, but others finish faster than that. I think I probably spent 50-60 hours working on it.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:07 PM
SOA

IA
FA
FA took me around 30-35 hours to finish.

www.deekaygames.com
Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Studying for EA-2L

i'm not really sure how long it took me to do FA. does reading threads and old google groups prior to downloading count towards the hours total? also, some of my time spent was wasted time due to being sleep deprived from insomnia after the first night.

i think if it takes 70+ hours, a lot of that time probably isn't productive time. i don't think it should take that long. it is pretty time consuming though. It takes a while to write a 10,000 word paper.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 08-18-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Tags
eom 6, eom1, eom2, eom3, eom7