Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

View Poll Results: Aug2010 SOA members: how many of you disagree that the SOA is currently undemocratic?
I disagree that the SOA is currently doing a poor job with regard to democracy 1 33.33%
42 (Standard default option for those who just wish to view the results) 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2010, 04:27 PM

Studying for double bass & jazz piano
Default Aug2010 SOA members: how many of you disagree that the SOA is currently undemocratic?

Polls on the AO typically attract fewer than 100 votes (i.e. the majority of relevant AO members don't vote and therefore are assumed to support the status quo). For example, the previous poll that I set up in July about SOA members' views of how democratic their organisation is has currently attracted only 61 votes, with a mean rating of 4.62 ("below average", given that the target for average was 5.5).
There is therefore some natural inertia which prevents the majority of relevant AO members from voting, probably quite understandably ("is it worth the effort?" "will it achieve anything?").

I think it will be interesting therefore to see the effect of this natural inertia when a one-way poll is turned into a question challenging the conclusions of the previous (two-way) poll.

I.e. if my previous hypothesis is untrue, and if the majority of SOA members on the AO really do believe that the SOA is currently doing a good job with regard to democracy, presumably they will be prepared to vote in significant numbers to state their disagreement with the view posed in this poll - let's see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
a21c is one of the better posters on the AO. That's not saying he's good.

UK software developer, actuary, musician, atheist. All posts in a personal capacity (unless explicitly stated otherwise in the post).

Last edited by actuary21c; 08-29-2010 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Clarified wording to show that this poll challenges the conclusions of the previous poll

Tags
bylaws, democracy, governance, soa