Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:47 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Assuming the balloon is the size of the cabin of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Assumptions - check whether the balloons are empty or full of air/helium. Also, what kind of balloon - the mylar kind or round rubber ones.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Assuming the balloon is the size of the cabin of course
You're hired.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 PM
SOA

I think it'll vary by the consulting company, though I heard it's becoming a bit more prevalent in the actuarial world nowadays. I can't imagine it'll be as extensive as the ones management consultants give, but if you can just study those and understand the general framework of thinking, I'm pretty sure that'll be good enough. There's a popular book called Case in Point that many management consultants use, and plenty of material on YouTube you can practice with.

As said above, it just comes down to business acumen and logical thinking. You should have enough business sense to know very generally, different kinds of industries and whatnot and how they all work. But more importantly, you should know how to solve a problem with some structure. If you don't know, say you don't know, but you will make an assumption, then build off that assumption.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:44 PM
SOA

College: University of Michigan

I've recently interviewed at big 3 (mbb) for an EL actuary position. The recruiting process was the same as for management consultants meaning multiple, intense business case interviews (e.g. how do you drive profits in this situation, should company X pursue this new product, etc.)

I've also interviewed at accounting big 4 for EL actuary and they also do simillar case interviews. In this case though, they were pretty relaxed about it. not too intense. Also, my case problems revolved around insurance (e.g. how are self-driving cars affecting market share for company Y)

To my knowledge, the other big consulting firms (towers, milliman, aon, mercer) do not ask typical consulting case problems
Old 08-05-2017, 08:18 PM
SOA

The firm I interned at and now work full-time has case interviews for interns. They did a couple of individual case interviews as well as a group case interview. The individual ones weren't too intense, and I didn't do any prep for them. It was basically just "here's the scenario, how would you go about handling this problem, what questions would you have, etc." If you do have these types of interviews, just make sure to state all of your assumptions and talk through your thoughts out loud.

The group case was a little more involved, as you had to work with 3-4 other candidates to solve the problem in front of the interviewers and then present to them as if they are the clients. They basically just want to see how you work with people, so as long as you aren't being too bossy and are contributing value to the group, you should be fine. I don't think these interviews are testing your knowledge as much as how you think and how you work with others.

Tags
consulting, interviews