Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-26-2003, 10:21 AM

Default average number of interviews before landing a new job

After failed 3 interviews in a row, I started casting doubt on my competitiveness in current job market, or/and interview skills. Any guys out there recently landed a new job? How many interviews do you think is average before getting an offer? I consider myself a junir level analyst (2-yr experience + 2 exams). Thanks.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Sample Weighted average, Employers, Interviews / Offer ratio = 3.3

Sample Weighted average, Employees, Interviews / Offer ratio = 2.3

3 interviews without a job offer, in our experience, is not unusual. I certainly wouldn't consider it failing.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:49 AM

So advice please, should I keep trying and going for more interviews? I am a little worried that if I have tried out all companies I like, will I run out of my opportunities in future? Hopefully not a weird thougtht.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

I don't think I have enough information to make that call. I'd examine why you think each of these interviews didn't go further. Maybe they're for three different reasons, or maybe you're right, that you need to work on your interviewing skills. I don't know. In which region(s) are you interviewing? Which actuarial discipline(s)?
Old 11-26-2003, 11:02 AM

You recently graduated from college? I would call the placement office and ask them if they do interview training. Better yet, find an actuary that you know that is a little more senior, ask them to do practice interviews with you.

There are difficulties at every level of interviewing. At your level, the main concern as I see it, is that they are not interviewing you for a true entry-level position, but you probably don't have much experience in the specific area that they are interviewing you for. Makes the fit a little bit harder than it would be otherwise - if you don't have a lot of experience in that line, why not hire an entry-level (at an entry-level salary)? Not your fault, and I certainly wouldn't be too worried because three is not a huge number, but obviously you want to try to find out if you can improve your chances next time - you might get a book on interviewing, too.

As for the number three - which you seem to be stuck on - the companies likely interviewed three or more people for each of these positions, so I think that tells you that it's pretty reasonable.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:30 AM

Sometimes descriptions of job requirements confuse me. I only submited CV for positions I think I meet the requirements. For my case, that is 2~3 years of experience, and 2~ 3 exams. The feedback I got from my interviews (two out of three) finally truned out they actually seeked people with more experience. Compared to my actuarial colleagues in the company and some other people I know at my level, I often think I am very good in terms of level of skills and knowledge I got given years of experience I have had (I mean no offense to those people I use as a reference for comparison). I have been interviewing with Boston, MA employers in P&C field. What can I do to improve the situation? Recently I start thinking of changing to life/pension/bebefit field, it seems that there are more opportunities in those areas. But that probably means I will lose the value of my current experience in P&C work? Any comments and advice is appcreciated.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:45 AM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Switching fields due to perceived scarcity seems drastic. Individually, there aren't more opportunities in the other disciplines versus P&C in the Boston area. Maybe combined there are. Companies that hire discipline switchers hire them because those candidates sincerely want to work in that discipline, not because those disciplines are a fallback to the candidate. Companies generally raise the bar for discipline switchers.

Quote:
What can I do to improve the situation?
If English is your second language, work on it.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:52 AM
CAS

Studying for MFE
Favorite beer: root beer

I recently landed an entry level job and it was my first interview. I had practice going over likely questions with my recruiter, and from interviews in other fields. I think the practice definately helped, and the list of questions (about 20 in all) for the different people interviewing me may have helped too. Good Luck
Old 11-26-2003, 12:28 PM

The position listed may say 2-3 exams, but if they can find somebody with 4 and squeeze them into the salary band, of course they will take that person over you - all else equal. Again, this is no knock on your personal skills at all, just the reality of 4 > 3.

Claude's right - switch out of P&C if you don't like the work, but not because you think there's more jobs elsewhere. Also that language matters.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:52 PM

Don't be afraid to apply for jobs that seem to require more or less than your exams/experience. There’s usually room in most positions to go up or down if the right candidate comes along.

Keep trying.