Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Piercings and interviews

Okay here it goes...

First I'll start off with a little background. I'm in 2nd year University, currently on my 2nd co-op term. Both previous terms have been with the same bank, but in different jobs. First job was in IT, second (currently) is in market risk. I'm writing my first exam in May (hopefully I pass) and I plan to try really hard to get into an actuarial job for my next co-op term.

I have a connection pretty high up in the bank, so those jobs were pretty easy for me to get--had a few strings pulled for me and I was basically in. I still had to go for interviews for both jobs--one for the IT job and 2 for the second job. These did seem more to "get to know me" before I start rather than an actual interview. During the IT interview they drilled be pretty hard, for the second job it was very relaxed.

Now I'll finally get to the point: During my first placement I got the upper cartilage of my left ear pierced. I like how it looks, others seem to like how it looks--I'm happy. Late in the term though, my boss (about mid 50's) asked me about it: "Do you think I would've hired you if you had that during the interview?". This was more theoretical, because he didn't have much of a choice in the matter. I answered with a question, and nobody really got a real answer from it.

During the interviews for my second job, nobody really seemed to notice it and it wasn't a big deal.

Also, my father mentioned after I got it that it would hurt my chances at getting jobs. He (also mid-50's) seemed like he wouldn't want to hire someone with a piercing like that, and that they would be at a definite disadvantage.

So what's the thought? My piercing isn't really common for a guy, but some have it. I haven't really seen anyone in banking jobs with anything like it and I assume insurance will be the same. Is it going to hurt my chances at getting jobs in the future? Also, I'm probably the only person in my program at school with it--and they're really my direct competition for co-op placements.

As much as I like it, if it's going to set me back in finding future placements, I'm probably willing to let it go and form to the mold.

Thoughts?

Now that I've outed myself to anyone who goes to my school or may interview me in the future
Old 03-02-2004, 02:01 PM

Favorite beer: Guiness or another quality Micro/Import

Ditch the piercing. This is the corporate world and you're not in IT in Silicon Valley before the tech bubble burst.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Piercings and interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by code-x
Late in the term though, my boss (about mid 50's) asked me about it: "Do you think I would've hired you if you had that during the interview?".
:o I can't believe he said that.

Quote:
So what's the thought? My piercing isn't really common for a guy, but some have it.
Frankly I wouldn't care, but the fact that someone has already made such an ignorant comment to you and haven't had the piercing for very long suggests you should consider taking it out for the interview.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:08 PM
urysohn

Wouldn't bother me.

But I think you've already given the answer on your own -- some will have a problem, some won't. Decide which is more important: being an individual or increasing your odds of landing that first job. Personally, I'd keep the piercing.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie
Quote:
Late in the term though, my boss (about mid 50's) asked me about it: "Do you think I would've hired you if you had that during the interview?".
Why not? It seems like a nice friendly piece of advice. Besides, he didn't say he wouldn't have hired him. He just inspired him to think about it.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Our group was pretty small. I didn't really look at him as a "boss". I can believe he said it. I understand why you'd be surprised that a normal boss would though. Either way, it was ignorant.

Quote:
Quote:
So what's the thought? My piercing isn't really common for a guy, but some have it.
Frankly I wouldn't care, but the fact that someone has already made such an ignorant comment to you and haven't had the piercing for very long suggests you should consider taking it out for the interview.
It's not a piercing I can take out at will--it's a closed ring. I've actually never taken it out in the 9 or so months I've had it. If I took it out I wouldn't count on getting it back in (but then I'm not sure).
Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolie Polie Olie
Wouldn't bother me.

But I think you've already given the answer on your own -- some will have a problem, some won't. Decide which is more important: being an individual or increasing your odds of landing that first job. Personally, I'd keep the piercing.
I'm probably willing to try to get a job with it, and see how things turn out. I may actually decide to ask (on a personal level) a person or two in high roles at my current job and see what they have to say.

I think it really does depend on the person... some people are a lot less flexible and old-fashioned about these things.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Quote:
Quote:
Why not? It seems like a nice friendly piece of advice. Besides, he didn't say he wouldn't have hired him. He just inspired him to think about it.
It's not friendly, it's rude. There's nothing wrong with men or women wearing jewelery to express themselves. It's far more important that the person can get the job done and jewelery has no bearing on that.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:16 PM
glenn

I have an ear pierced from back before piercing was mainstream. I took it out for my first job interview and got the job. I never wore it to the job as I felt that they hadn't hired me with it in. For a few years I just took it out for work. Then along comes kids and a mortgage and the only time it's used is on halloween when I put in a pumpkin earring to freak out my kids.

My advice - assume that visible piercings are not appropriate for corporate conservative positions today. Wear it outside the office, take it off for work.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:16 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

I think it would probably hurt your chances somewhat.

Not so much from people who would explicitly note it as a reason not to hire you, but because it will give a vague impression to some that you are strange or "won't fit in". They may or may not be able to make the connection between the feeling and the earring, but you don't want to make interviewers vaguely uneasy.

So, lose the jewelry until you land the job you want. You can put it back once you are settled in and people know you if you really want to.