Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-20-2004, 01:17 AM
SOA AAA

Default "Work Experience" on Entry-Level Resume

I'm trying to finalize my resume for the upcoming recruiting season at the university, and basically it won't all fit onto one page. So what to cut? I have 2 pension internships, 2 insurance internships, and 1 law firm internship... and my "Honors/Activities" section is not small, either. Something's got to go. I'm considering:

1) cutting the law firm experience b/c not actuary-related
2) cutting one of the insurance internships b/c I sorta got cheated out of a quality internship program and didn't learn a d*nm thing all semester (spent more time at the copy machine than at the computer)
3) tailoring one resume to insurance recruiters and another to pension recruiters

The good thing about this last one is that I can keep most of my 'Honors/Activities" section. No, scuba, study abroad, etc isn't SO important, but I've gotten more comments about my marching band involvement than just about anything else on my resume.

Right now I think these are my options (short of using a 10-size font). Any comments? Would you have to see the file itself to better evaluate my options?
Old 08-20-2004, 02:49 AM
ActuaryInTheMaking

How about laying out everything nicely on 2 pgs, as opposed cramming and cutting relevant experience/skills so that it fits onto 1 pg?
Old 08-20-2004, 07:58 AM
urysohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by actscistudent
How about laying out everything nicely on 2 pgs, as opposed cramming and cutting relevant experience/skills so that it fits onto 1 pg?
Great idea! Unless it's entry-level. Then you're better off getting it down to one page. As with all things like this, some people won't care and some people will junk it from the get-go.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:33 AM

Get it to 1 page. I like the idea of having separate resumes for pension and insurance. Maybe shrink your activities section. 10 point font is okay, btw, that's not that small. Just no smaller than that. Ditch the law experience and the internship where you didn't really learn. The point of having stuff on your resume is so you can talk about it in the interview, so if it isn't a selling point, get rid of it.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:38 AM

10-point font is fine.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:47 AM
SOA AAA

If a previous job was unusual or impressive, then put it on.
That will put you in the, "I'd like to know more about this person" pile.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:34 PM
urysohn

I'd cut out the detail before I cut out the breadth. Leave the useful internship on there - the very bit that you knew it was useless is informative too. I like the law bit -- a good deal of what we do as actuaries is based on reading and interpreting regulations (at least in life product dev't, and pensions too I'd think).
Pensions interships are good experience for an insurance job as well, and vice versa.

But, if you're using two lines to list each school you went to, or 5 lines for each job/internship, then that's where you can lose some of the information, I'd think.

ashley - check your PMs.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
SOA

I agree with Ury. For an entry-level resume, I have a hard time believing that you can't get it all on one page if you really try. Without having seen your resume, I'm guessing that you've either got stuff spaced out too much or you're including too much detail, or both.

I would leave every single one of your internships on there. If the company finds out about an internship that you left off your resume, they might think you're trying to hide something. This internship could turn up during a background check, reference check, or it's even possible that someone has moved from the "useless" company to the company that you're applying at. For an entry-level resume, I would be highly suspect if the candidate left an internship off and I subsequently found out about it.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:33 PM

Disagree with twig - if you had two internships, and only listed one, I would be worried. If you have five, and only list three or four? understandable. I don't even list all of my post-college full-time jobs any more.

One line for the law and the useless internship should be good, if that's what you want to do. Honors/activities - definitely can be smaller. After a few, it gets useless, particularly if you list out eight different awards in the same category. I think about it like this, you would expect that winning the NCAA Gymnastics championship would be pretty impressive, and something to list. But, if you were to have six lines to say

Competitive gymnast
Bronze medal, team all-around, Sydney 2000 Olympics
Gold medal, Vault, Sydney 2000 Olympics
Silver medal, individual all-around, Amsterdam world gymnastics championship 2001
Gold medal, Vault, Amsterdam world gymnastics championship 2001
Gold medal, individual all-around, 2002 NCAA

I would say, that last one doesn't need to be on there. You're pretty effen good. And serious about it. I got it. Think about this, look through the marching band section, and let us know if you still need help cutting. DO NOT SEND TWO PAGES FOR ENTRY-LEVEL.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:16 PM
SOA AAA

twig93, point taken about leaving an internship off the resume. I'd like to keep them all. Right now I have Job #1, 3-or-so bullet points of stuff I did, then Job #2 and 3-or-so bullets points for that one, and so forth. Do you suggest to remove some of these bullet points? That sort of content is what all the resume gurus on campus say is most important.