Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-18-2004, 03:37 AM

Default consulting salary vs insurance salary

I just received an offer from a fairly large p/c "consulting" company. The base salary is $52000. I got 2 exams, one internship (3 months). The company is located in an average COL area. However, I am still interviewing with 2 other p/c "insurance" companies, one of which has expressed serious interest in extending an offer. My question is what is the kind of salary level I should expect from a p/c insurance company? I heard that insurance companies generally offer less than do consulting companies. Is this true? If so, by how much. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:38 AM
CAS AAA

With that profile, you're probably looking at $44 to $49k starting, but keep in mind that in consulting, you often have to work over 40 hours a week, and that isn't generally true in insurance.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:28 AM
SOA

Default Re: consulting salary vs insurance salary

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammyself
I just received an offer from a fairly large p/c "consulting" company. The base salary is $52000. I got 2 exams, one internship (3 months). The company is located in an average COL area. However, I am still interviewing with 2 other p/c "insurance" companies, one of which has expressed serious interest in extending an offer. My question is what is the kind of salary level I should expect from a p/c insurance company? I heard that insurance companies generally offer less than do consulting companies. Is this true? If so, by how much. Thanks.
I received one offer from a Life Insurance Company that was higher than both offers received from consulting firms. Though it may have been a unique situation as the Life Co. had just moved to a relatively less desirable location and I think they were having trouble competing with the nearby metropolis in recruiting people. Regardless, I went for the consulting job.
I placed far more emphasis on growth potential, people, nature of work, environment etc. rather than the few dollars difference in starting salary.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:02 AM

I'm not in PC but I got two pension consulting offers and 1 healthcare offer before I decided to take this pension consulting position. The healthcare offer was exactly $10000 less than the consulting offer that I took up.

The healthcare company is a huge listed company.
The pension consulting company is a fairly small company.

Hope that can help you make a reasonably accurate guess.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

When I reviewed the data underlying our salary surveys, a bunch of the top offers for P&C entry, 2 exams, came from insurers, and the top offer came from a reinsurer. So it is not necessarily the case that a P&C insurer will offer less than a P&C consultant, but I couldn't begin to guess what range you can expect, since you're only talking a few data points, except to point to our 10th-90th percentile for 2 exams entry P&C, which is 42-56K, base+bonus, excluding sign-on, and ratchet it down a few K to 40-54 for insurance.

Every year that I've looked at it, the compensation gap between P&C consulting and insurance has been reduced, across all experience levels. While demand for P&C actuaries is growing at consultants and insurers/reinsurers, and other employers of P&C actuaries, it's growing fastest at insurers/reinsurers, worldwide, and has been like that for at least the last 3 years.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W. Simpson Webmaster View Post
While demand for P&C actuaries is growing at consultants and insurers/reinsurers, and other employers of P&C actuaries, it's growing fastest at insurers/reinsurers, worldwide, and has been like that for at least the last 3 years.
Is it a good idea for me to be in insurance field if I want to work abroad later on?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabui View Post
Is it a good idea for me to be in insurance field if I want to work abroad later on?
Yup.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 PM

While I'm sure Claude is right that insurance has many (most) opportunities, there's lots of international opportunities in consulting, so you're not hurting yourself going that route - I'd figure out if you want insurance or consulting now and worry about the international later.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
While I'm sure Claude is right that insurance has many (most) opportunities, there's lots of international opportunities in consulting, so you're not hurting yourself going that route - I'd figure out if you want insurance or consulting now and worry about the international later.
The quote was from 2004. Things have changed.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:53 PM

Favorite beer: Anything that defiles myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNO811 View Post
With that profile, you're probably looking at $44 to $49k starting, but keep in mind that in consulting, you often have to work over 40 hours a week, and that isn't generally true in insurance.
All my offers from the P&C side were at least $50K. Must be a low col area to make under $50K. (I had 1 exam passed and 1 pending.)