Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:07 PM
CAS

Default Career changer resume question

I entered the actuarial field, and began taking exams, late in life (at age 43, to be exact). At the moment I have two years of actuarial experience, 20 years of finance and IT experience, and four exams.

If I were 25, the exams wouldn't be an issue. I'd put, "Passed SOA/CAS Exams 1 through 4" on my resume, and the reader would assume (correctly) that I was making reasonable progress and would continue and (hopefully) eventually get my letters.

At age 45, I'm not sure I can count on readers making that asumption. It looks too much like I'm a "career student", who either stopped taking exams or has been taking exams by fits and starts and is making very slow progress.

To be sure, a discerning reader would say, "This guy probably wasn't taking exams while he was a financial analyst at the phone company." But I don't like to force people to read tea leaves when they're looking at my resume.

So far I've considered:

1. Putting the dates along with the exams: "Passed 1 and 2, November 2002; Passed 3, May 2003; Passed 4, November 2004." But most people don't do that, and it looks a little weird.

2. Add, "Sitting for Exam 5, May 2005." But that's kind of pompous, and it makes it look like something unusual--like normally I wouldn't be sitting.

3. Mention my situation in the cover letter. But cover letters have a way of getting separated from resumes.

4. Forget about it, and trust actuarial employers to be smart.

What are your opinions?
Old 12-28-2004, 12:13 PM

Actuaries can recognize a non-actuarial job title. The dates of your actuarial employment should tell them all they need to know about your exam progress.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:16 PM

Quote:
1. Putting the dates along with the exams: "Passed 1 and 2, November 2002; Passed 3, May 2003; Passed 4, November 2004." But most people don't do that, and it looks a little weird.
I've seen young actuaries put dates passed on their resume -- there's nothing weird about it. In fact, it can work in your favor as not many people can pass 2 exams in one sitting and your progress seems to be at a good pace.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:21 PM

I would do all of 1, 2, and 3. You're right - don't ASSUME that they actually got your cover letter with your resume. There's nothing weird about #1. And, nothing pompous about #2 - they want to know whether you are taking exams or not.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefilteFish144
Quote:
I've seen young actuaries put dates passed on their resume -- there's nothing weird about it. In fact, it can work in your favor as not many people can pass 2 exams in one sitting and your progress seems to be at a good pace.
Agree - I might even add a blurb somewhere saying (currently taking actuarial exams)
Old 12-28-2004, 12:24 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

I agree with Westley. Add the exam dates to your resume. It's not odd. I've seen it done before. Add the sitting information. Again, it is useful information, and not that unusual to have it in there.

Brief mention of your situation in the cover letter is good, but less crucial than your first two points.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2004, 04:41 PM

I always include the exam passing dates on my resume. When it comes to resumes, if you've got it, flaunt it.