Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 PM
SOA AAA

Default How long Resume !!!

I passed Course 1 and now preparing for Course 2 and looking out for a job in actuarial field. Previously, I did my masters in Engineering and worked for 3.5 years as an Analytical Engineer. I got in touch with one recruiter and she pointed out that I need to send the shorter resume (my current resume is about 2 pages, with my past 3.5 years engineering exp. in there). couple of questions -
1. If I am looking out for an entry level position in actuarial field then should I reduce the length of my resume ?
2. If I reduce my resume then I will not be able to put all my past exp. what do you guys suggest ? by the way, my exp. is not actually in actuarial field. but I have been working in statistics and mathematics and using MS Excel, programming in C, FORTRAN, MS Project, Minitab (statistical software),and little bit MS Access.

I would appreciate you people's views on my situation.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

One page.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:52 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

If it's more than one page, you'd better have some pretty high credentials after your name or a pretty long list of publications.

Seriously, if you can't cut it to one page, show it to someone and have them help.

Doug
Old 01-19-2005, 03:53 PM
SOA AAA

1. Drop anything that has nothing to do with actuarial work. Classes took, work experience not helpful to hiring actuary, etc.
2. What you wrote --
Quote:
using MS Excel, programming in C, FORTRAN, MS Project, Minitab (statistical software),and little bit MS Access.
-- should not take two pages.
3. Exam passed at the top of the page.
4. Then Degree, date, college.
5. Work experience that would relate to actuarial work -- PC skills, mainframe skills, data warehouse querying skills, etc..
6. Work skills important to actuaries that will stand out among the 1000 resumes. People skllls, leadership skills.

You don't have to write paragraphs. Anything you write that would lead to more questions about specifics will be good.

Anything on the second page had better be better than anything on someone else's first page.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-19-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Question for Claude

I agree: one page. If I have a stack of resumes, which is likely, I am just not going to get to page two. I might wonder, if someone can't state his or her background in one page, how wordy they are going to be with job correspondence.

Question for Claude: This one versus two page resume question comes up often. Any chance you could take a composite of actual resumes, disguise the data, and present a sample good resume for various typical applicants (right out of college; several years working in a different field; etc.)?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:59 PM

Favorite beer: Guiness or another quality Micro/Import

Fiddle with margins, font size (size 10 is fine, but no smaller), etc if you are having trouble cramming on to one page.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeorez
Question for Claude: This one versus two page resume question comes up often. Any chance you could take a composite of actual resumes, disguise the data, and present a sample good resume for various typical applicants (right out of college; several years working in a different field; etc.)?
That's one of the services that we provide to those looking for actuarial positions through us, helping candidates with their resumes. This way is more fun, I get to see what Westley will post next. And there are ample threads devoted to resume best-practices, perhaps I'll round them up soon.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W. Simpson Webmaster
This way is more fun, I get to see what Westley will post next.
I've been told that if I don't have anything nice to say, I should say nothing at all.

And, therefore I choose not to comment on this thread.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
SOA AAA

I have used a 12-size font, and lots of margin on the sides (the better to makes notes on, as lots of actuaries like to do).
My first page is a teaser for the second and third pages. The fourth page is a professional-grade head shot, becuase that's required in this business. It's not of me, of course.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS CCA AAA

At what point do you move to two pages? I would expect anyone with over 10 years of experience to have 2 pages. Is that about right?