Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:40 PM

Location: where the streets have no name, so I can't tell you or else I'd have to kill you
Default Resume question

Hi, I am currently a high school math teacher (going to sit for Exam P in May), and I want to start updating my resume for the actuarial field. I have a question about software experience...I took a course in college back in 1998 in which I learned Access. However, since it has been so long and I have had no use for Access, I do not remember how to use the program. I know I would be able to pick it up again, but should I still list this on my resume -- perhaps at the end of the technical skills? Thanks for your help
Old 03-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Cynic

I would list it as "familiar with Access" or something like that. Do you have Access at home? Play with it a little to know the basics. It's not that hard.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:52 PM

Location: where the streets have no name, so I can't tell you or else I'd have to kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
I would list it as "familiar with Access" or something like that. Do you have Access at home? Play with it a little to know the basics. It's not that hard.
Thanks Cynic. Unfortunately, I do not have Access at home. I wish I did, so I would be able to play around with it.

I also taught C++ and was a computer programmer (not in C++) for a year, which I am hoping will look good on my resume since I am a career changer.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Retired Administrator

I hope you don't mind that I moved this to the careers section.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci
I hope you don't mind that I moved this to the careers section.
No problem, thanks Traci!
Old 03-13-2005, 03:20 PM

When I listed my computer experience on my resume, I didn't give very many details. I felt it was more important to give a basic idea in a short space, and they would ask for more info about whatever was important to them at my interviews. This happened, and no one seemed annoyed when I said stuff like, "I've programmed in C, but it's been a few years, so I'm rusty." They didn't take "have programmed in C" to mean I was an expert, just that I won't implode if faced with a computer and asked to learn their favorite programming language.

You have more computer experience than I did, so you probably want to list that you've had a course in Access (you can give the date, and they can read between the lines and know it wasn't yesterday) and that you've taught in C++. Most people (I think) come in without knowing Access anyway, so if you admit when it comes up in the interview that you're a bit rusty but will remember quickly once you use it again, I think they'd still be delighted.

Last edited by Amy7; 03-13-2005 at 03:23 PM..
Old 03-13-2005, 03:22 PM

oh, I just reread your post. I wouldn't list it at the end of the technical skills, I'd list it closer to the beginning, since it's something they will care about.

(caveat about anything I say: I've never been a hiring manager. )
Old 03-13-2005, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy7
oh, I just reread your post. I wouldn't list it at the end of the technical skills, I'd list it closer to the beginning, since it's something they will care about.

(caveat about anything I say: I've never been a hiring manager. )
Hi Amy, thanks for the advice! I definitely will not list it at the end. I feel better now given your advice.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Place the items you *want* them to read at the beginning and end of the list (since studies have shown that the first and last words of a list are most memorable).

Hide the less valuable computer skills (Tetris, minesweeper, etc.) in the middle.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Place the items you *want* them to read at the beginning and end of the list (since studies have shown that the first and last words of a list are most memorable).

Hide the less valuable computer skills (Tetris, minesweeper, etc.) in the middle.
Haha, thanks! So, I guess my fiance should remove "Master of Everquest" from his resume? (joking of course )