Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 03-25-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Exams on resume

For those that see a lot of resumes.... what are you seeing these days in regard to the new system (P, FM, C, etc.) vs. the old system (1,2,3,etc).

Are people still using just the old system? Putting both? Using the new only for the lower-level exams?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick O'Shea
For those that see a lot of resumes.... what are you seeing these days in regard to the new system (P, FM, C, etc.) vs. the old system (1,2,3,etc).

Are people still using just the old system? Putting both? Using the new only for the lower-level exams?

Any thoughts?
I doubt that anyone would claim to have passed "P", "FM", "C", or "M" right now since those exams haven't yet been given.

If you are asking wheather should you translate (say), exam "2" to "FM", I'd say: no.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
1,2,3, etc. is not the "old" system. It is the CAS system and is still being used.
If you are applying for a casualty job, put 1,2,3. But if your applying for a life & Health job, put P, FM, C.

I was once told to "choose" one but not the other by an **interviewer**!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:41 PM
SOA AAA

Put the old names down and also their equivalents under the new system in parens.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Osis
I doubt that anyone would claim to have passed "P", "FM", "C", or "M" right now since those exams haven't yet been given.

If you are asking wheather should you translate (say), exam "2" to "FM", I'd say: no.

Well obviously I haven't taken M,C,etc. I'm talking about what I have credit for. I mean, I'm not going to write on my resume that I passed 100 and 110, I 'm going to write that I have credit for Course 1 (or P) (or both). The question is which.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
1,2,3, etc. is not the "old" system. It is the CAS system and is still being used.
If you are applying for a casualty job, put 1,2,3. But if your applying for a life & Health job, put P, FM, C.
Well, for the SOA, it is the "old" system. Which is what I am; I guess I should have specified.

I guess I'm just worried that if other actuarial hiring managers are anything like the credentialed actuaries in my office, they have no idea what the heck C, FM, and VEE even mean, let alone how they translate in to current exams.

I'm leaning toward putting both, maybe in columns, comparing credits under the old system and the new.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:41 PM

I think 1,2,3 would be better.
You know they have different meanings, for example, If you pass course 4, you dont need to worry about VEE for applied Stats, (some folks here do have this problem).
Old 03-25-2005, 02:51 PM

What about putting the number of exams passed? I can't imagine it really matters which ones you've passed. Let the interviewer ask. It's the number of passes that gets you over the first hurdle anyhow.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:52 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Well obviously I haven't taken M,C,etc. I'm talking about what I have credit for. I mean, I'm not going to write on my resume that I passed 100 and 110, I 'm going to write that I have credit for Course 1 (or P) (or both). The question is which.
Why not? I think it's appropriate to put what you've passed, despite the time frame you passed it in. Then add a line describing the conversion under the current system (2005). If you want, then include the 2000 conversion, but I'd put 100, 110 (pre-2000) --> Exam P and FM (is that what 110 is?)

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:53 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad badger
What about putting the number of exams passed? I can't imagine it really matters which ones you've passed. Let the interviewer ask. It's the number of passes that gets you over the first hurdle anyhow.
Right, but what if you say that you've passed 4 exams, but 4 under the pre-2000 system? Doesn't that translate to about 2-3 exams under the current system? That's slightly misleading. Definitely specify which ones.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.